Voicemeeter changing settings on computer startup

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
TomW1605

Voicemeeter changing settings on computer startup

Post by TomW1605 »

Hi

Every time I restart Voicemeeter changes settings such as strip outputs and strip/bus mut status to a previous point that appears to be from some time in the middle of my last magur change in setup (RTX Voice) so the setup it is loading has the mic mirrored to main outputs and it is really annoying to have to go in and change it every reboot. I have also noticed that the Macro Buttons are doing the same thing. i have saved all the configs but that is more and export than a save so i don't think it helps here.

So my main question: Is there any way to reset the startup state to the current state?

Thanks
TomW1605

Re: Voicemeeter changing settings on computer startup

Post by TomW1605 »

Hi

Is there no solution to this?

Thanks
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

We might need some help from Vincent on this one.

With mine, it was not remembering my settings at first, when I exited the application and then started it again. I thought that was weird since it remembers my settings every time I boot.

I saved them to an XML file in My Documents\Voicemeeter, and now it remembers the settings from the previous load each time I start the app, and after a reboot.

Previously I had saved my settings to a different drive, which is usually asleep, so it didn't seem to 'remember' them. I'm guessing it worked on bootup because the drive is awake?

Honestly I'm not sure how this is supposed to work since it always "just works" for me. From the way I'm seeing it behave, if you save the settings to a file on the C drive like that it should work as you expected and settings should persist through a reboot. Let me know how that goes for you.
TomW1605

Post by TomW1605 »

In my case the config xml is stored in my documents but that is both on my d drive and setup to use OneDrive so full path is

Code: Select all

D:\OneDrive\Documents\Voicemeeter configs\Voicemeeter.xml
I have tried changing Voicemeeter configs to Voicemeeter and that did not help. I tried putting it on my desktop that is on my C drive and not using OneDrive and that did not help. I have also tried creating a 'fake' documents folder so that %userprofile%\Documents would resolve but that did not work either.

In my case it is also happening on both reboot and Voicemeeter restart. It is also only a few things that are not remembered. Most of the settings are saved properly. oddly it changes toggle states but remembers the volumes.

This is my config before closing Voicemeeter or rebooting:
2020-05-08 16.09.51.png
2020-05-08 16.09.51.png (204.32 KiB) Viewed 19842 times
And this is what it is when Voicemeeter starts up again:
2020-05-08 16.10.13.png
2020-05-08 16.10.13.png (204.68 KiB) Viewed 19842 times
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Are you using Voicemeeter buttons or MIDI to set some things?
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

It would be cool if Vincent could tell us what it is intended to do and how it does it.
Kilrah wrote:Are you using Voicemeeter buttons or MIDI to set some things?
Good call. If you have voicemeeter starting the macrobuttons app, and the initial state in the macrobuttons is wrong, that'll do it.
TomW1605

Post by TomW1605 »

Kilrah wrote:Are you using Voicemeeter buttons or MIDI to set some things?
You nailed it. I had some unused MacroButtons that had initial stats set but that I haven't used in ages so forgot about. Deleting them fixed the problem instantly. Thanks for pointing that out. I have not had problems with that before, so I didn't think to check it, but my last change rearranged my strips (or busses I always forget, the inputs anyway) so all the numbers in the MacroButtons were wrong.

Thanks for all your help.
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

That's great :D

I still don't know why mine only works on boot, unless I save settings to the C drive....Vincent?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

Voicemeeter (or Macro Buttons) are in AUTO SAVE mode...
it means you always retrieve it in the last state (as it was hardware device).

if you want to start voicemeeter with a given settings, you may use the command line instructions:
see Voicemeeter Command Line chapter in use manual.
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

I think perhaps I know why it didn't seem to be working at first - I was using VM x64 when booting, but when restarting, I was using the unaltered shortcut, which loaded the x86 version.

Is it possible that the auto-saved settings differ between x64 and x86? I cannot replicate this fault now, but I'm certain it existed previously, because I *thought* it worked, until I tested it for OP, and it didn't work.