"hook volume keys" works, macrobuttons does not.

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Jeffen

Re: "hook volume keys" works, macrobuttons does not.

Post by Jeffen »

xcasxcursex wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:07 pm
Jeffen wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:26 pm The only reason i am asking for this is because the macrobuttons work-around does not work as consistently as the "hook volume keys" option.
FWIW I needed to get this working so I tried again and it is working perfectly for me as follows:

Name: Volume down
Button type: Push button
Keyboard shortcut: Vol -
Request for button on: Strip[n].Gain-=1

Name: Volume up
Button type: Push button
Keyboard shortcut: Vol +
Request for button on: Strip[n].Gain+=1

I've got the volume up/down on a wheel, so it can really spam these out. It never skips a beat.

One issue is that the slider can't be limited to 0dB, so it can go over maximum volume and clip. For this, I have a reset button that sets it to 0dB when I ctrl+volume up. We would need some kind of scripting to avoid this (comparators and conditionals etc) so a more elegant solution will hopefully be in the future :)
that is exactly how it is set up and i still have this issue with some applications.
Vincent Burel wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:30 am does it change something if you run MacroButtons app at last ?
Jeffen wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:32 am The launch sequence does not matter
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

What apps are doing this aside from teamspeak?

Other than those apps being buggy and breaking the keybind by stealing the keypress before VM gets it, only reason I can think of for this to not work is that they are using raw keyboard input for performance reasons. That kinda maybe makes sense in TS since it's gaming-focussed, but I can't think of many apps where this should be a thing (it's usually something you'd see in-game)
Jeffen

Post by Jeffen »

xcasxcursex wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:20 am What apps are doing this aside from teamspeak?

Other than those apps being buggy and breaking the keybind by stealing the keypress before VM gets it, only reason I can think of for this to not work is that they are using raw keyboard input for performance reasons. That kinda maybe makes sense in TS since it's gaming-focussed, but I can't think of many apps where this should be a thing (it's usually something you'd see in-game)
this is in no way an exhaustive list but here are some applications that when focused break the exclusive keybind to macrobuttons.

Teamspeak 3
Samsung Magician
Chromium (sometimes)
MSI Afterburner

and to reiterate i do not have this issue with "Hook Volume Keys (For Level Output A1)"
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

I can confirm that TS, magician and afterburner all do this.

There's a strong argument that those apps shouldn't do that and it's not a VM problem, but since VM works fine with the 'hook volume keys' option it would be very nice to see the macro buttons app get the same ability.

Vincent, could this be done? Could we make the macro buttons app capture keys in the same way as voicemeeter?
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

Little bump for the very busy Vincent
Jeffen

Post by Jeffen »

I saw in the latest update that the hook option got its own sub-menu now.

Hopefully an entry can be added for "Hook Volume Keys (For Level Output Voicemeeter VAIO)" whenever you have the time.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

yes, i've an idea to get keyboard event anyway by using the HID stuff... also to be able to connect any HID controller to the MacroButton...