Side-chain (audio ducking) problem.

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
I3ordo

Side-chain (audio ducking) problem.

Post by I3ordo »

Hey, good day to you all.

There is a small problem with my VM setup and simply put it is the issue of audio ducking setups overriding each other.

for ex:

I set the MEDİA (music) to lower the volume of "GAME" (line-in) to -50db (almost silent) , this works and when sound comes from "MEDIA", i dont hear sound from "GAME" but

i also use another ducking for "MIC" to duck the same "GAME" to -15db

So when music plays, GAME goes silent, but when i speak, it comes comes back in "-15db" from and" MEDIA" cant make it duck again as the ducking trigger levels are designed to trigger once but not continuosly.

is there a solution to this?

thank you
xcasxcursex

Re: Side-chain (audio ducking) problem.

Post by xcasxcursex »

From what you've described, it is behaving exactly as you have instructed it. What's the desired behaviour?

At a guess, you want it to automatically reduce game volume and stay reduced, when music plays (automated volume control), but automatically reduce that volume, only when you speak into the mic, and then stop reducing the volume, when you stop speaking (ducking)? In that case, you will likely either need to use a continuous ducking function, or chain the music-ducked output of the game channel through a bus and then mic-duck that bus.

How do you plan on ever increasing the volume of the game after the music stops?

Off-topic, but it's not really "ducking" if it's just reducing levels automatically and permanently. "Ducking" describes the levels being reduced and then returning dynamically.... Just pedantic terminology stuff, not to worry :)
I3ordo

Post by I3ordo »

(I currently have media duucker disabled, nevermind the unticked box.)it is actually ducking.

Problem occur when i use this ducking along with it.

when Mic generates sound input, the "MIC ducker" activates. but when Mic's activity end, "mic ducker" fades it back up to normal values. In order for the media ducking to trigger again sound level coming from "media "has to go "low" again
in order to bypass this.

I fiddled with thresholds of music fader, made a very narrow activate and deactivate zone which allowed the BPM of the sound trigger it continuously but that does not work for every kind of songs.

There can be a better solution to this already and i was wondering about that
I3ordo

Post by I3ordo »

I am also wondering if VM macros can use "if" arguments
so if strip 2 volume is lower than -40db; then
strip(2).mute=0
strip(2).fadeto=-10db

currently if i unmute a strip, i have to first fade it to a quiet volume then back up but if every unmute will lower the volume first which spoils alot of things on my end