Turntable input problem with WDM or MME

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
D10wrangler

Turntable input problem with WDM or MME

Post by D10wrangler »

Hi everyone,

I have Banana working well with my recording software (Wavelab Essentials 10) using Voicemeeter Asio inputs/outputs. However my turntable input is suffering from 10ms silence being inserted into the input every 10-12 minutes. This happens when I listen to the input on Banana and is also recorded in Wavelab. I have tried WDM and MME at all buffer sizes.
If I go back to my previous setup using the Soundblaster AE5 Asio inputs/outputs into Wavelab it works perfectly.
I have attached screenshots.

This is driving me crazy! Any ideas?
Voicemeeter Banana.jpg
Voicemeeter Banana.jpg (124.99 KiB) Viewed 7119 times
Banana System Setting.jpg
Banana System Setting.jpg (88.27 KiB) Viewed 7119 times
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Turntable input problem with WDM or MME

Post by Vincent Burel »

in this case, use AE5 ASIO as main device in Voicemeeter (output A1).
D10wrangler

Post by D10wrangler »

Thanks for your reply Vincent Burel.
I am now using AE5 Asio for A1 Output and have patched Asio Inputs (3/4) to In 1.
Sound is fine but now the inserted silences are up to 109 ms and are more frequent. I have increased the latency on the AE5 Asio control panel with no effect.
I have adjusted the Buffering Asio setting to 1024 also with no effect. As you can imagine this is unusable.
Is there anything else i am missing?
VB Main Screen.jpg
VB Main Screen.jpg (123.83 KiB) Viewed 7102 times
System Settings 05-26.jpg
System Settings 05-26.jpg (89.92 KiB) Viewed 7102 times
Wavelab silence 109ms.jpg
Wavelab silence 109ms.jpg (41.21 KiB) Viewed 7102 times
D10wrangler

Post by D10wrangler »

I have been unable to fix my problem with the turntable line input to Banana.
Still have silence inserted on the input at random times now. Anywhere from 10ms up to 110ms.

Question : What is the default Asio Buffering setting? Is it smaller or larger than the others in the drop down list?
I have tried almost all of the settings in my quest to solve the problem.

I will try re-installing Banana today and see if that helps.
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. According to the Voicemeeter Banana User Manual, when Buffering ASIO is set to Default the buffer size is given by the ASIO driver. You should be able to set it up using the ASIO Control Panel of your device. For more details, see section ASIO Driver support of the manual (page 52).

I have seen audio interfaces with buffer sizes ranging from 64 samples to 256 samples. The ASIO Control Panel of my device allows to choose from 88 up to 882 samples (2 to 20ms at 44.1KHz sample rate).

VB-Audio Software YouTube channel has a tutorial video about how to Setup Voicemeeter With an ASIO device: https://youtu.be/35N8hkOy8h4
D10wrangler

Post by D10wrangler »

Thanks for your reply Andres,

I have used the Asio control on my device (SoundblasterX AE5) and tried different settings but nothing stopped the silence insertion on the input.

I have now uninstalled Banana and gone back to using the SB Asio directly into Wavelab and there are no problems.
I will try reinstalling Banana as I really want to make it work.....

I'll update when I've installed it.
Thanks for the help, hope I can make it work, I see no reason why it shouldn't.
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. Voicemeeter Banana includes a gate effect which you can control with a knob in the input strip AUDIBILITY section. I am not sure but I understand that using a gate could "silence" your output if the input (Turntable) is below certain level. In the last image you posted it appears that this knob is set to 1.0.
D10wrangler

Post by D10wrangler »

Hi everyone,

Well it seems that by uninstalling (following the guidelines about rebooting) and reinstalling (again rebooting) everything is working properly (no more silences).
I was concerned that it started up with the previous settings, but upon using Andres suggestion of setting Buffering ASIO to Default and using the Asio Control Panel on the AE5 @2ms the silences were gone.

Thanks to this forum and everyone for their suggestions, I finally got there!

Trivia: I don't understand why, after uninstalling and doing a registry clean, the reinstall had the same settings and channel naming as before ?
And when using the Restart Engine under settings it doesn't display the time to restart display ?

I have made a donation for this software.

Thanks again, Cheers!