Select apps for a specific output device

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Romans

Select apps for a specific output device

Post by Romans »

Hello! I've configured Voicemeeter Potato in these days for simple streaming (and a simple managering of audio on pc). Nothing professional only personal.
But i have a question. After i have configurated all the output devices lines (i uses only vaio and aux vaio for now) in order to split audio (desktop audio on vaio and Discord or other communication applications on aux) under each "mixer" and upon the volume it appears the single applications volum, but i have a problem, some applications appear on ALL devices. For example discord appear on all three, chrome in vaio and vaio3, spotify in vaio and aux, etc. How can i "select" the single applications that need appear there?

I also went on windows10 settings and i set for each app the output and inputs that i want, but it doesn't change anything.

Thank you all:)
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Select apps for a specific output device

Post by Vincent Burel »

this is reflecting the windows volume mixer for each device.
mayb moer a question for Microsoft.
Romans

Post by Romans »

Vincent Burel wrote:this is reflecting the windows volume mixer for each device.
mayb moer a question for Microsoft.
I've settete voicmeeter outputs and inputs for each app on windows sound settings, and a microsoft technical supporter try to solve with remote control and at the end he told that all mixer audio on windows are correctly setted and said to me to recontact voicemeeter community/support
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

The Microsoft support representative is mistaken. This is a Windows fault. If the application opens a specific device by itself (using a setting in the app) then it opens only that device. If the app uses the 'default' device in windows, and you use windows control panel to redirect that app to a different device, app will open the normal default device, and also the specified device.

There are several threads about this, on these forums. Unfortunately this is a Windows bug and there's nothing that Vincent can do.
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. The User Manual describes how the application list in Voicemeeter Potato (and the volume and mute controls) are related to the Windows Volume Mixer. See the Applications shown on Virtual Input Strip section at page 18.

You can open Volume Mixer by right-clicking the Speakers icon in the notification area and choosing the Open Volume mixer option. You can change the device by clicking the device name and selecting a different one. Volume Mixer shows the levels of the different applications that are sending audio to the device.

The last paragraph could be useful to clarify this topic:
Generally speaking, the virtual inputs strip should reflect the related Windows Volume Mixer state (without the System Sounds Control) up to 4 applications. If an application is disconnected, Voicemeeter could not be notified correctly and still continue to show it in its list. In this case a “Restart Audio Engine” should correctly refresh the list of connected applications.
Hope this helps.
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

Unfortunately, even a restart of the audio engine appears sometimes not to have the desired effect.

For example I am currently watching a youtube video in another tab. VM shows 'Firefox' in my default device (VAIO) and shows the tab title in the device I'm using windows' settings to redirect (VAIO3). Restarting VM, now the tab title appears in both. While VM needed a restart to be aware of the un-notified change, the device remains opened - the change was only the application name, and not the closing of the device.
Walker

Post by Walker »

I believe it is an application issue not VoiceMeeter or Microsoft

I also use Discord amongst others and yes it does appear on every Virtual Input but I believe this is due to the application opening each ready for selection to build its list but not closing. The audio does only come into the selected input of the application i.e. you see the bar graph

If you say open https://meet.google.com and go to its audio settings and set something you will see it does it correctly and only appears under one column