Surround Sounds WDM

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
AxeTheRipper

Surround Sounds WDM

Post by AxeTheRipper »

Hello there can you please tell me is there any plans to make surround working with WDM
because currently only works with MME which has delay and for gaming that is really bad
I tried with 3 different headphones but non work with WDM
So I am just curious do you have any progress
Andres

Re: Surround Sounds WDM

Post by Andres »

Hi. When you select the WDM option for your output device, Voicemeeter tries to use your audio device in exclusive mode. In this mode, Voicemeeter sends audio directly to the audio device driver bypassing the Windows Audio Engine. If the surround emulation component included with your headphone (for example DTS Headphone:X 2.0) integrates inside the Windows Audio Engine it would be bypassed when exclusive mode is used.

When you select the MME option for your output device, Voicemeeter will not bypass the Windows Audio Engine. According to Vincent answer to your previous post, the solution is to use MME.

Voicemeeter System Settings window Buffering MME option allows you to set a smaller buffer size to try to reduce the delay. Using VB-Audio Virtual Cable Control Panel you can also reduce the latency via the Latency menu options. You should try the different settings to see if your system supports smaller values.

I use headphones connected to the mainboard integrated audio (Realtek) through a 3.5mm stereo jack. The audio driver provided by the mainboard manufacturer includes Sound Blaster Connect which can emulate 7.1 surround audio through these headphones. The emulation only works when choosing MME. I set Buffering MME to 480 samples and latency to 3x 768 (2304) samples.