Monitor a different output bus (Potato)

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Nikko

Monitor a different output bus (Potato)

Post by Nikko »

Is there a way to just choose an output bus like A3 or B1 and just monitor it?

The reason is for example. If I'm streaming and I have voice chat, my mic, and music playing, I can adjust what I hear through my headphones (BUS A2-Headphones) but I can't check what my mix sounds like for the stream (BUS A5-Virtual Cable). I can use the SEL button to change the levels for A2 and A5 separately, but I can't hear what the other mix sounds like. I could add the virtual cable to one of the input strips and listen to that, but it would be nicer if I could monitor the mix for another BUS easily. It also isn't practical if you start adding different mixes, for example if A4 was a mix sent to my voice chat, A5 to the stream, and A2 to my headphones.

I only learned how to use the SEL to adjust the mix for that output recently, so there may already be a way to do it, but if not, what I would like to see is another button under SEL like SOLO that lets me just hear that BUS over a selected monitoring device.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Monitor a different output bus (Potato)

Post by Vincent Burel »

ok, i note your remark :
to be able to monitor any BUS on output A1.

maybe the SEL button could help (ALT + SEL or something like that...) will think about...
sjc-or

Post by sjc-or »

Yes, I would like to do this as well. Actually monitor what is actually being sent out a given bus to ensure it is as expected.

I tried Taking Cable B as output device (A5) on a given bus to route back to input on strip 5 and then monitoring on output 1 (which is my headset), while of course leaving the bus outputs of strip 5 off so that I didn't create a feedback loop. Maybe I have to turn "listen on" in the Windows recording device to make this work.
sjc-or

Post by sjc-or »

OK, I think this will work:

Create an output A5 and make it VB Cable B - This will be your monitoring output
Also set up input A5 as Cable B - for input but NEVER send input A5 to output A5 (or you will create a feedback loop)
Anything you want to monitor send it also to output A5. Then if your headphones is A1, then mark A5 input to output to A1 (your headphones)

So anything you want to monitor on your headphones just send to A5 but remember again, never send the output of A5 back to itself.
What would be even cooler is if Voicmeeter was smart enough to know this is the same cable and not to allow the loop.

I haven't tested this but I think it will work.