Voicemeeter Potato & Cubase Setup [SOLVED]

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
BkS

Voicemeeter Potato & Cubase Setup [SOLVED]

Post by BkS »

Hello all,

I've been trying to setup voicemeeter to use with Cubase so that I can start to create music. I have been able to so far, send music from Voicemeeter to Cubase without issue. My issue is getting audio to output from Cubase back to Voicemeeter. I would like my Mic (ASIO Input 1) and my guitar (ASIO Input 2) to be separate tracks, and then output to my headset on A2.

Here is my current setup:

I would appreciate any help, thank you!
Last edited by BkS on Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
BkS

Re: Voicemeeter Potato & Cubase Setup

Post by BkS »

Just an updated, I've now resolved my problem, and have my tracks working exactly as I needed!

I did some more searching here on the forum, and came across this very informative video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lvSsCg59ew

This provided the basic concept of what I was trying to achieve, though it can be quite difficult to understand until you start poking around with VM & Cubase.

To make it easy, I have taken further screenshots of how to setup VM & Cubase to enable separate track recording!

Firstly, it's important to change BUS B1 to composite mode, assuming you are going to use the Voicemeeter Virtual Audio ASIO driver, if you wish to use the Voicemeeter AUX Audio driver, you would set BUS B2 to composite mode, or for Voicemeeter VAIO3 Audio driver, BUS B3 would be set to composite mode. Clicking the "normal mode" will allow you to change mode, this is detailed in the manual.

The next step is setting up the Patch Composite under Voicemeeter System settings/Options. As detailed in the manual, patch composite allows up to 8 channels to be patched through to Cubase (or any DAW for that matter) under composite mode, as full I/O audio. In my screenshot you can see BUS Ch1 & BUS Ch2 are set to the Hardware Input #1 which is my microphone, and Hardware Input #2 which is my guitar input. These are being mixed down to Mono then sent to Cubase by Voicemeeter. Just enabling the mono button allows this as seen in screenshot 1 above!

Hardware Input #3 is the VB CABLE Output, which is where my browser audio comes in. I've set this up to be a stereo mix in patch composite, by assigning Bus Ch3 & Ch4 to the L/R of IN#3.

This is all I had to do on the Voicemeeter side of things to get it working correctly. All my audio is sent from BUS B1 to A2 Out which is where my wireless headset is, bypassing the need for a wired set to use with my interface (a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.)

In Cubase, you will need to first setup the ASIO driver. For me, this was a simple case of changing the ASIO driver to Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO

After this, you need to press F4 to bring up the VST Connections window and setup your Inputs & Outputs. You can see here from the screenshot that I have my Mic & Guitar as mono buses set to their respective ports on Voicemeeter, and likewise for the stereo browser input.

For outputs, you can see here I have 2x stereo mixes, one for IN#1 & IN#2, and one for the browser on IN#3 Left & IN#3 Right (Bus CH3 & CH4 under Patch Composite)

After you've setup your Inputs & Outputs, it's just a case of ensuring the routing of your tracks inside Cubase (or your preferred DAW) use the busses you setup. You can see in this example here, I have 3 tracks, a mic track, a guitar track and a MIDI track. The mic & guitar track use their own input busses and then output to the Bus Ch1 & Ch2 stereo mix.

I hope this little write up helps anyone who is in a similar situation to myself. Took me a while to figure this out. :)