A Better Way?

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
CptnTurner

A Better Way?

Post by CptnTurner »

Hi all.

So I've been using Voicemeeter Potato for quite a while now, and back then I set it up in a way that works, but to be honest I've always thought that I'm probably (almost definitely) doing things in a very backwards way. So today I present to you my set up, and wish to hear all the ways I'm doing it wrong and ways I could be doing it better.

Kind Regards,
Andy

----------
Primary Use: Streaming

Most Important Requirement: To be able to adjust headphone mix independently of the stream mix. I achieve this using the set up below, and then a 8 fader midi controller to adjust the PC / Comms / Music mix in headphones, and PC / Comms / Music mix on stream

Why do I do this: Well, I'm not a sharp thinker, like how people turn the car stereo down when looking for a car parking space, I tend to have to adjust the levels to best suit what I'm doing at the time. Other times I will check music before I bring it up on stream. And then there are occasions where I want to be able to hear when somebody on comms is entirely ready before I bring them up on stream.

----------
A1: Speakers
A2: Headphones
A3: Virtual Audio Cable A (designated PC in LOCAL headphones / speakers)
A4: Virtual Audio Cable B (designated comms in LOCAL headphones / speakers)
A5: Virtual Audio Cable C (designated music in LOCAL headphones / speakers)
-----------
<<STREAM MIX>>
B1 is designated primary STREAM output (mic + PC)
B2 is designated comms on STREAM
B3 is designated music on STREAM
<</STREAM MIX>>
-------------
Input 1 (Mic) -> B1 (Level is never adjusted beyond muting)
Input 2 is unused
<<HEADPHONE MIX>>
Input 3 (Audio Cable A carrying PC Sound) -> Headphones or speakers depending on mute status
Input 4 ( Audio Cable B carrying Comms) -> Headphones or speakers depending on mute status
Input 5 (Audio Cable C carrying Music) -> Headphones or speakers depending on mute status
<</HEADPHONE MIX>>
----------------
VAIO (PC) -> B1 and A3
AUX (Comms) -> B2 and A4
VAIO3 (Music) -> B3 and A5
Last edited by CptnTurner on Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: A Better Way?

Post by Vincent Burel »

in audio world, it usually make no sens to connect mixer outputs to mixer inputs.
it can create feedback loop and other system problem in some cases.

So, in your configuration,
or you may disconnect input 3, 4, 5 from the virtual cables.
or you may disctonnect output A3, A4 and A5 from the virtual cables.

but you should avoid this kind of connections.
CptnTurner

Post by CptnTurner »

Hi Vincent,

Yeah I didn't think it was greatly smart, but other than this, I couldn't figure out a better way of creating a headphone mix independent of my stream output mix. Any suggestions? (VM , hardware, or otherwise)

Kind Regards,
Andy
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. Voicemeeter Potato master section includes 8 SEL buttons which allows you to SELECT a single bus (A1-A5, B1-B3) and independently set the levels for each input. Using this feature your headphone mix (A1) input levels can be setup independent from the input levels of your stream mix (B1, B2 and B3).

In this way you can avoid using virtual audio cables from Voicemeeter outputs (A3-A5) to Voicemeeter inputs.

See here a nice animation of this feature: https://www.facebook.com/vbaudiosoftwar ... 164621282/

It should be possible to set the input levels to each bus from your MIDI controller faders, but that is something I have no experience. The user mannual describes these functions: Strip.GainLayer[j] where i denotes the input strip and j the bus; Bus.Sel to activate the SEL button for a bus.

Hope this helps.
CptnTurner

Post by CptnTurner »

Andres wrote:Hi. Voicemeeter Potato master section includes 8 SEL buttons which allows you to SELECT a single bus (A1-A5, B1-B3) and independently set the levels for each input. Using this feature your headphone mix (A1) input levels can be setup independent from the input levels of your stream mix (B1, B2 and B3).

In this way you can avoid using virtual audio cables from Voicemeeter outputs (A3-A5) to Voicemeeter inputs.

See here a nice animation of this feature: https://www.facebook.com/vbaudiosoftwar ... 164621282/

It should be possible to set the input levels to each bus from your MIDI controller faders, but that is something I have no experience. The user mannual describes these functions: Strip.GainLayer[j] where i denotes the input strip and j the bus; Bus.Sel to activate the SEL button for a bus.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Andres, THIS was the answer I was looking for. I knew there had to be a more obvious way but I just couldn't seem to figure it out. Legend!

Kind Regards,

Andy