Feature Suggestion: Application Control

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Nikko

Feature Suggestion: Application Control

Post by Nikko »

So, Windows sucks, and sometimes people writing programs just look at the system default device and ignore the by-program settings that windows 10 lets you do. Looking at the Elgato Wave Link software, it lets you add applications as input channels so you can choose which apps are sent to OBS. Right now, I am using the VAIO, VAIO Aux and VAIO3 inputs to sort my apps into "System", "Multimedia" and "Communication". This means that anything I want sent through Skype I output to B3, and Skype comes in through B3 and out to A1 or A2. But there are two problems, the first is that if I want one app in Aux to send the audio but not another, the ability to mute or mix by app is limited to the first four that appear in that space. And some apps like Skype appear in all of them for some dumb reason... If there's a way to see beyond the 4th program in VAIOs/B1-3, I can't figure it out with right clicks or whatever.

So here's the suggestion. Have virtual device that I set as the default device for all programs. For example "Voicemeeter Application Input". Then add a section to the interface which allows me to adjust the volume of each application, as well as assign it to an output bus. Or if not on the main window, as a pop-out window. Here's a mock-up of what it could look like. New programs would appear as assigned to A1, but it would remember the settings for previously seen applications.
VB-Suggestion-Sm.jpg
VB-Suggestion-Sm.jpg (159.47 KiB) Viewed 5728 times
Just as a side note, when I show people how to use Potato, they always ask me about the tape. Is it a heavily used feature? If I were to record something, I'd probably use Audacity or OBS or something. Same for playback, I don't think I'd load a file into it, I'd use media player or whatever. It takes up a lot of space on the interface.
js3kgt

Re: Feature Suggestion: Application Control

Post by js3kgt »

This would be awesome!

Right now I'm getting by with Audio Router https://github.com/audiorouterdev/audio-router, but that project has been dead for 4 years.
CptnTurner

Post by CptnTurner »

Elgato Wave Link software is in its infancy, but is looking promising for the streaming community. I have no doubts that they'll keep developing it and eventually open the software to a subscription license similar to the streamdeck mobile app.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

we can plan to display all connected applications in a popup windows (on right click for example)... we have something like this noted in our todo list.

the Tape deck is a handy recorder/player... and i've idea about...
Nikko

Post by Nikko »

Would it be possible to give the apps in the popup window the ability to send to any bus like in my example picture? Or is that not really in the direction you want Voicemeeter to go? I'm thinking that maybe it would be better as it's own product that I'm sure streamers would be interested in buying with a simpler interface. I don't know what's the best approach to this problem, but I know there's demand.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

no because being able to send different application to BUS is made by a strip (and input section).
it's up to you to route application to different Voicemeeter input strip, to be able to send them to different BUS.