Setup question: Keep external audio interface on?

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Bob_B

Setup question: Keep external audio interface on?

Post by Bob_B »

First post, and I have a question prior to installing VM Potato, which I plan to install after getting this question answered. I normally leave my external audio interface (M-Audio Fast Track Ultra) turned off, using Win7's internal audio for most uses. When I am recording to my DAW (Sonar), I first turn on the interface, which launches its ASIO driver. I then use my DAW/interface, directing the interface's hardware inputs to my DAW and output the DAW sound through the interface to monitor speakers.

Q: When using VM, is it wise to continue this approach, or is it better to leave the audio interface on at all times? If I continue to turn the audio interface on only when I need it, how do I work with VM?

I've read through the manuals for all three versions and have watched a couple of dozen video tutorials, but haven't seen this particular issue discussed in them. I greatly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions regarding my question, and thank you in advance for your advice.

Bob
Bob_B

Re: Setup question: Keep external audio interface on?

Post by Bob_B »

Anyone have advice? Thanks.
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi Bob. These are general comments.
¿Are you planning to use Voicemeeter as part of your recording setup (DAW/Audio interface)? or will it be used to process audio in other scenarios?
Voicemeeter supports ASIO interface in output A1; so if you are planning to use your audio interface with Voicemeeter the recomnended interface is ASIO and you have to select M-Audio Fast Track Ultra in output A1. A1 is the Main Device in Voicemeeter (it defines for example the sample rate used in the mixing process). I am not sure about this but If your main device is turned off Voicemeeter could not work.
Last edited by Andres on Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheVoice

Post by TheVoice »

I have recently installed the VB software and might be in a similar situation. I'm using banana right now and have a USB audio interface. I just recently learned about bus A1 being the only bus to support ASIO, which is unfortunate, as I wish it was flexible enough to handle ASIO on more outputs.

So Bob, I'm like you in that I don't have my audio interface connected at all times. I have desktop audio, my browser and Zoom all going through Banana. And also a DAW when the AI is plugged in. So for now, when my audio interface is unplugged, I have the A1 output set to my TV/monitor. Normally the TV is set to output to A2. When I connect my AI, I need to reset the outputs. If it were possible, I would like to be able to set it and forget it. If there's another way, I don't know about it. Maybe ASIO support for additional output busses could be added to a wish list.
Bob_B

Post by Bob_B »

TheVoice wrote:I have recently installed the VB software and might be in a similar situation. I'm using banana right now and have a USB audio interface. I just recently learned about bus A1 being the only bus to support ASIO, which is unfortunate, as I wish it was flexible enough to handle ASIO on more outputs.

So Bob, I'm like you in that I don't have my audio interface connected at all times. I have desktop audio, my browser and Zoom all going through Banana. And also a DAW when the AI is plugged in. So for now, when my audio interface is unplugged, I have the A1 output set to my TV/monitor. Normally the TV is set to output to A2. When I connect my AI, I need to reset the outputs. If it were possible, I would like to be able to set it and forget it. If there's another way, I don't know about it. Maybe ASIO support for additional output busses could be added to a wish list.
Thanks, and yes that's pretty much my situation. I may just hold off installing and using VM until I do a major hardware/OS/software upgrade later this year. I really don't want to spend time fooling around with VM in Win7 with my older audio interface, and then have to recreate it all on the new computer. I'm still thinking about my options, and haven't reached a final decision.

Bob
Bob_B

Post by Bob_B »

Andres wrote:Hi Bob. These are general comments.
¿Are you planning to use Voicemeeter as part of your recording setup (DAW/Audio interface)? or will it be used to process audio in other scenarios?
Voicemeeter supports ASIO interface in output A1; so if you are planning to use your audio interface with Voicemeeter the recomnended interface is ASIO and you have to select M-Audio Fast Track Ultra in output A1. A1 is the Main Device in Voicemeeter (it defines for example the sample rate used in the mixing process). I am not sure about this but If your main device is turned off Voicemeeter could not work.
Yes, as part of my DAW, which I don't use all the time. That's why I don't have the USB audio interface turned on all the time. So, if VM could not work when the audio interface is turned off, does it default to Windows OS sound?
TheVoice

Post by TheVoice »

When I unplug my audio interface and come back the next day to reboot the PC, Voicemeeter shows whatever I had selected for the A1 output blinking and colored red. So it is prompting me to either plug the AI in or make another selection. Otherwise there will be no output.