Voicemeeter Banana output to VoIP via Virtual Cable gives poor audio

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
WilliamCampbell

Voicemeeter Banana output to VoIP via Virtual Cable gives poor audio

Post by WilliamCampbell »

I’m trying to use Voicemeeter Banana (latest version) and it works great in all but one respect – one output gives audio so choppy and bad that it’s unusable.

I’m recording a podcast, and I usually have a guest on Skype, (or some other VoIP solution, or a softphone) and I want to play audio clips into the show and have the guest react to them.

I find it important that both myself and the guest doesn’t hear their own voice feeding back to them as this is distracting. I have a basic audio player that uses Voicemeeter Aux as its output, and set Skype to use Voicemeeter Vaio as its audio output. The guest always uses earphones to prevent feedback.

The cassette recorder is set to record B1, and all three inputs record with perfect quality on separate tracks.
I have my local sound card set under A1 and listen through earphones, and I hear the guest and my audio player perfectly.

I have my microphone and Voicemeeter Aux (the audio player) live for A2 and send this audio to WMD Cable Input, in the hope of sending my voice and the audio clips to Skype, for the guest to hear and converse with me.

Unfortunately, A2 is giving very poor-quality sound, to the point that the guest can’t understand what is being said. I have tested this with multiple clients (Skype, web-based VoIP, softphone) and the problem is always the same. The problem is also the same both for my voice (microphone input) and audio from the audio player.

I have a quite powerful computer so I don’t think that’s the issue.

I would be very grateful if anyone can suggest a way to make this audio (via virtual cable or otherwise) more usable. Many thanks for all your help.
TheVoice

Re: Voicemeeter Banana output to VoIP via Virtual Cable gives poor audio

Post by TheVoice »

I was not able to use WDM at first because of distortion whenever I selected it. So I used MME instead. But since WDM is supposed to have lower latency, I discovered that WDM would work properly if I turned on exclusive mode in Windows 10 settings.
Attachments
Exclusive Mode.PNG
Exclusive Mode.PNG (18.95 KiB) Viewed 8266 times
Andres

Post by Andres »

WilliamCampbell wrote:I have my microphone and Voicemeeter Aux (the audio player) live for A2 and send this audio to WMD Cable Input, in the hope of sending my voice and the audio clips to Skype, for the guest to hear and converse with me.
Hi. This is simply an alternative setup which you can test.
Instead of using A2 output to send your microphone (Hardware Input 1) and audio clips (Voicemeeter AUX virtual input) to Skype (using VB-Cable) you could try to use B2 virtual output. B2 virtual output correspond to VoiceMeeter Aux Output device in Windows sound settings.
To do that you have to:
  • Save your settings in case you need to restore them. Go to Menu and select the Save Settings... option. To restore select the Load Settings... option.
  • Select VoiceMeeter Aux Output (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter AUX VAIO) as your Microphone in Skype.
    If you restore your previous settings don't forget to restore the Microphone selection in Skype.
  • Turn on B2 in Hardware Input 1. This sends your microphone input to B2 (Skype). You should turn off A2 in this same input
  • Turn on B2 in Voicemeeter AUX virtual input. This sends your audio player to B2 (Skype). You should turn off A2 in this same input
  • Remove device selection from A2 output since you are now using B2
WilliamCampbell

TheVoice wrote:I was not able to use WDM at first because of distortion whenever I selected it. So I used MME instead. But since WDM is supposed to have lower latency, I discovered that WDM would work properly if I turned on exclusive mode in Windows 10 settings.
Andres wrote:
WilliamCampbell wrote:I have my microphone and Voicemeeter Aux (the audio player) live for A2 and send this audio to WMD Cable Input, in the hope of sending my voice and the audio clips to Skype, for the guest to hear and converse with me.
Hi. This is simply an alternative setup which you can test.
Instead of using A2 output to send your microphone (Hardware Input 1) and audio clips (Voicemeeter AUX virtual input) to Skype (using VB-Cable) you could try to use B2 virtual output. B2 virtual output correspond to VoiceMeeter Aux Output device in Windows sound settings.
To do that you have to:
  • Save your settings in case you need to restore them. Go to Menu and select the Save Settings... option. To restore select the Load Settings... option.
  • Select VoiceMeeter Aux Output (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter AUX VAIO) as your Microphone in Skype.
    If you restore your previous settings don't forget to restore the Microphone selection in Skype.
  • Turn on B2 in Hardware Input 1. This sends your microphone input to B2 (Skype). You should turn off A2 in this same input
  • Turn on B2 in Voicemeeter AUX virtual input. This sends your audio player to B2 (Skype). You should turn off A2 in this same input
  • Remove device selection from A2 output since you are now using B2
Many thanks both of you for helping out. I've tested and both of these solutions work, they deliver super sound quality to a remote listener on skype and soft phone to regular telephone. It's a huge improvement, and will save me many hours of editing and make recording much simpler.

@Andres, I have one question, if I uninstall VB Audio Virtual Cable just simplify my system - should your solution still work? Or is it dependent on that?
Andres

Post by Andres »

WilliamCampbell wrote:@Andres, I have one question, if I uninstall VB Audio Virtual Cable just simplify my system - should your solution still work? Or is it dependent on that?
It should work. It uses VoiceMeeter AUX VAIO which is one of the two virtual audio devices installed with Voicemeeter Banana.
WilliamCampbell

Andres wrote:
WilliamCampbell wrote:@Andres, I have one question, if I uninstall VB Audio Virtual Cable just simplify my system - should your solution still work? Or is it dependent on that?
It should work. It uses VoiceMeeter AUX VAIO which is one of the two virtual audio devices installed with Voicemeeter Banana.
Thanks for that Andres, thanks also @TheVoice.