Tips for avoiding jitter (MT32SPLite and virtual cable)

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
cjunekim

Tips for avoiding jitter (MT32SPLite and virtual cable)

Post by cjunekim »

Hi

I've been using voicemeeter since 2016. I have learned about it while trying to use it in extreme cases. I'd like to share a simple tip with you.

1) Use MT32SPLite to Find out the Best Device

Firstly, start from Vincent's suggestion : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=451&sid=052e48675ae ... af77ff9526

Now, install MT32SPLite. Go to its ASIO device setting page. There you can see the variance in Callback Timing Error Rate. The less variance you see there, your sound will be clearer and more stable. You can see the variance visually from the graph. I found it much quicker way to test my setting compared to physically testing my setting.

There you test your various audio devices, its sampling rate and especially the buffer size.

I learned that the callback timing error varies a lot depending on the audio devices. For example, I have Focusrite Scarlett, Yamaha MG10XU, Behringer UMC 404HD, Soundcraft notepad 12fx, and ZOOM U-44. With varioud combinations of audio devices, sampling rates, and buffer sizes, I found ZOOM U-44 with buffer size set at 288 was the most stable. It was almost like a straight horizontal line. Of course the sound was the clearest. And, as you might know it already, focusrite scarlett shows a strange behavior. They became more stable at a mulitple of specific buffer size : viewtopic.php?f=11&t=506&sid=052e48675a ... af77ff9526 If not, it makes a lot of jitter, even with a larger buffer size value.

2) Use Virtual Cable instead of the built-in virtual bus output

Suppose you want to send the computer audio into zoom. Of course there are simpler ways but just suppose this case for an example.

Chrome plays music into VoiceMeeter Input, which will go into the virtual inputs #1. You assign the output bus into B3, for example. B3 is VoiceMeeter VAIO3 Output. Zoom takes that output as a mic. If you monitor from A1(your actual audio device), there may be no jitter or crackling. Clean. However, at the end of the other side of Zoom, which might be your audience, can hear a lot of jitter and crackling. So don't be sure that you have finished your work based on listening to A1. You have to actually check what comes out of VAIO3.

In this case, just choose to use the basic Cable Input/Output instead of the builtin output bus. That jitter goes away.

Strange thing is, the VAIO3's buffer was much larger than Cable Input/Output's. It was 7168, whereas Cable Input/Output's was 1024.

Hope this helps.
cjunekim

Re: Tips for avoiding jitter (MT32SPLite and virtual cable)

Post by cjunekim »

I added another tip. Use "VB-CABLE Virtual Audio Device" instead of the builtin virtual bus outputs.

I haven't tried VB-CABLE A,B,C,D yet.
DigiSaint

Post by DigiSaint »

Code: Select all

In this case, just choose to use the basic Cable Input/Output instead of the builtin output bus. That jitter goes away.
Can you clarify what you mean by this? Do you mean instead of sending my audio using the built-in bus 1/2/3 to instead set a Virtual Audio Cable as a hardware out (the same way I would my headphones / speakers) and use that as the input for Zoom / Discord?
cjunekim

Post by cjunekim »

DigiSaint wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:24 pm

Code: Select all

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Do you mean instead of sending my audio using the built-in bus 1/2/3 to instead set a Virtual Audio Cable as a hardware out (the same way I would my headphones / speakers) and use that as the input for Zoom / Discord?
Yes, that's right.