Two Mics, Two tracks

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
sailorbrendan

Two Mics, Two tracks

Post by sailorbrendan »

Hey there.

I admit, I have pretty solidly no idea what I'm doing and have been just trying to muddle through to minimal effect.

I have Voicemeeter, the virtual cables, audacity, Reaper.... kinda everything that someone on some forum suggests might help but I realize this is a world where you all have some specialized knowledge that I just don't have and I haven't found a way to bridge the gap, so to speak.

So if anyone has the time and patience to walk me through the idiot version of accomplishing my goal of two mics and two audio tracks, I would be deeply grateful.
Andres

Re: Two Mics, Two tracks

Post by Andres »

Hi. Could you please provide additional information to help you out? What version of Voicemeeter are you using? What recording software are you going to use? Reaper supports ASIO (Audio Stream Input/Output) which is also supported by Voicemeeter. Audacity doesn't include ASIO interface. Are you using a particular audio interface to connect the 2 microphones to your computer?
sailorbrendan

Post by sailorbrendan »

I have Voicemeeter Potato, and for recording software I'm good with using either Reaper or Audacity. I just need to record the tracks and to be able to edit them afterwards, both softwares I assume let me do that.

As far as interface goes, they're USB mics and I've been just plugging them into my computer. I've gotten Voicemeeter to hear them both, and I have them outputting to different outputs, but that's where I can't seem to get past.

I have read several places about for audacity doing the right/left stereo thing, but I haven't been able to actually make that work, and I honestly haven't managed to get Reaper to work pretty much at all.
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. Try this setup:
  • Select one USB microphone in Hardware Input 1 (WDM should work). In Hardware Input 2 select the second USB microphone.
  • Check the volume level meter bar for hardware input 1 and 2: USB microphones typically are stereo devices so both channels (Left and Right) should be visible.
  • Turn on B1 on both hardware input 1 and 2: This routes the 2 microphones to the B1 output bus. Note that B1 output bus is connected to the VoiceMeeter Virtual ASIO output device (It will be used in Reaper)
  • In the master section, locate the B1 bus and change its routing mode to Composite by clicking repeatedly the button located under the SEL button. It should be initially labeled Normal mode
  • Select System Settings / Options... from the Menu. Locate the PATCH COMPOSITE:
    patch composite.PNG
    patch composite.PNG (142.31 KiB) Viewed 8145 times
    Click over the text that reads Select PRE-Fader. It should change to POST-Fader
  • Select IN#1 left in the first box (leftmost). Select IN#1 Right in the next one (These are the 2 channels from your first microphone). Select IN#2 Left in the third and IN#2 Right in the fourth (These are the 2 channels from your second microphone)
In Reaper:
  • Select Options - Preferences... or press [Ctrl+P] and select ASIO in Audio System (Under Device section)
  • Select Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO in ASIO Driver.
  • Check Enable inputs and select 1: VM-VAIO 1 as first input and 8: VM-VAIO 8 as last input
  • Insert new track [Ctrl+T]
  • In the Input Selection list, select Input Stereo and select VM-VAIO 1 / VM-VAIO 2
  • Insert new track [Ctrl+T]
  • In the Input Selection list, select Input Stereo and select VM-VAIO 3 / VM-VAIO 4
  • Press the Record Arm button and you should be ready.
This tutorial could be useful https://youtu.be/DILbRZuFkf4. It uses mono signals instead of stereo in case you prefer to use mono tracks.
Hope this helps.
sailorbrendan

Post by sailorbrendan »

Thank you!

So, that got me most of the way there. One of the mics is now working as intended, but the other is still going to both tracks and I don't know why.

I've grabbed a screen shot of all the things I think might be relevant to try and make this easier.
https://imgur.com/b33Cily
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. Please use the following PATCH COMPOSITE settings:

patch composite.png
patch composite.png (6.83 KiB) Viewed 8115 times

Channels 1 and 2 are connected to Hardware Input 1 (Left and Right)
Channels 3 and 4 are connected to Hardware Input 2 (Left and Right)
sailorbrendan

Post by sailorbrendan »

THANK YOU!!!!

that made it work. You're an absolute legend.