Voicemeeter Potato freeze when another application freezes

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Svg93

Voicemeeter Potato freeze when another application freezes

Post by Svg93 »

Hello,

This problem only happen with Voicemeeter Potato, whenever an application freezes, Voicemeeter will freeze as well until other application stops freezing.

My best guess is it's caused by the application volume mixer, Windows's volume mixer also freezes whenever an application freezes.

I wonder if it's possible to disable this functionality from Voicemeeter Potato to avoid this problem?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Voicemeeter Potato freeze when another application freezes

Post by Vincent Burel »

difficult to fix a problem without reproducing in our lab.
Audio device conflict can produce this kind of problem in some rare case (check that your application is now trying to access same audio device than voicemeeter output A1 for example).

you may also consider installing last Potato version: 3.0.1.4 (available on our social network).
VictorienXP

Post by VictorienXP »

Basically any app/game intensively working/loading (hang/freeze/not responding) will freeze the VoiceMeeter window aswell.

Now this won't impact VoiceMeeter Potato from working but will render the UI completely unusable during an app/game freeze.

This is basically an issue in the native Windows audio mixer and VoiceMeeter Potato is getting it too.

I guess VoiceMeeter Potato uses Windows API to gain the same functionality as the Windows audio mixer but since the Windows audio mixer has this issue of freezing on app/game freeze, well VoiceMeeter Potato is getting it too.

As I don't think you can fix this Windows issue, a good workaround would be to have a setting to completely disable the app mixer from VoiceMeeter Potato.

As (old) games/engines loading are usually the biggest culprit for not responding while loading.

You can reproduce this issue by loading in any Source Engine games (in windowed (/borderless) mode) for example (not limited to Source Engine games).

I've made a video to better demonstrate the issue: https://youtu.be/aiimEW0hzvU?t=140
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

the video is clear, but it sound more like O/S problem (so may report this to Microsoft)
or an audio device conflict that freeze Voicemeeter main stream for example... you may also report this behavior to the game developers.
VictorienXP

Post by VictorienXP »

I know this is not VoiceMeeter Potato's fault.
But still I would really appreciate if you could add a setting (even just as a startup argument) to completely disable the app mixer from VoiceMeeter Potato.
I never use the app mixer anyway.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

ok, we maybe found the problem...
it 's about the volume control app list in Voicemeeter virtual strip.

To get the app name we send a message (GetWindowText) to this application window...
and if this application is not responding we could have a deadlock.