Jabra Evolve 40 sound issue

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Krom

Jabra Evolve 40 sound issue

Post by Krom »

When I'm using Voicemeeter with a Jabra Evolve 40 MS Stereo headset, I observe a sound quality drop when Jabra is set as an input device. The sound becomes quieter and thinner. The sound is back to normal if any other input device is selected (Realtek microphones or ZOOM G3 in my case).
Andres

Re: Jabra Evolve 40 sound issue

Post by Andres »

Hi. This could be unrelated to Voicemeeter:

Some USB headsets apply equalization when you are not using the microphone (for example when listening to music) and apply a different equalization when they detect microphone activity (for example during a voice call).

In Jabra headsets these 2 modes are called: Music mode and Speak mode. In Music mode the speaker response goes from 20 to 20000Hz. In speak mode it goes from 150 to 7000Hz. You can see the Audio section (Speaker bandwidth) of your headset technical specs: https://www.jabra.com/_/media/Jabra_VXi ... 20-Web.pdf

This only applies when using the headset connected via the USB controller. It doesn't apply If you connect your headset via the 3.5mm TRRS mini plug.

This could be the cause for the perceived difference when you select your headset microphone in Voicemeeter: the USB controller applies the speak mode equalization.

You can test if this is your case:
  • Please be sure the headset microphone is not being used by any application. You can even close Voicemeeter.
  • Listen to music through your headset speaker
  • Open Sound control panel (the one with Playback tab, Recording tab, etc.)
  • Change from the Playback tab to the Recording tab (this activates the microphone and should apply speak mode equalization)
  • Change back to the Playback tab (this should apply music mode equalization)
Last edited by Andres on Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Krom

Re: Jabra Evolve 40 sound issue

Post by Krom »

Andres, thank you very much for the explanation! This is exactly the case.