Pro Tools glitches

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
spugaroony

Pro Tools glitches

Post by spugaroony »

I teach a University course in Pro Tools DAW software. Normally, we are working on campus in my audio lab, but due to Covid, this semester's course is remote.

I am using VoiceMeeter Banana for my instructional videos. I connect my voice mic into a hardware input, and I connect two software sources ((1) internet source (e.g. youtube) and (2) Pro Tools DAW) into the two virtual inputs. The mic and the internet/youtube work great.

The Pro Tools audio, after passing through banana, has a 19 millisecond gap every 714 milliseconds. See attached graph of an 800 millisecond sample before and after passing through VoiceMeeter. I have tried many different buffer sizes, and I have also swapped the internet and Pro Tools virtual inputs. The Pro Tools audio is still useful for instructional videos, but obviously it sounds "clicky". Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
gaps.png
gaps.png (32.2 KiB) Viewed 7957 times
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Pro Tools glitches

Post by Vincent Burel »

The stability of our Virtual ASIO driver are mainly pending on voicemeeter main stream (given by output A1 device).

the needed information to help is the voicemeeter system settings dialogbox screnshot.
spugaroony

Post by spugaroony »

Here are the system settings. I have tried larger buffer sizes (up to 1024) on the FocusRite ASIO.
Attachments
vb banana.jpg
vb banana.jpg (143.38 KiB) Viewed 7947 times
sjc-or

Post by sjc-or »

Do you have ProTools configured to Audio Interface set to Voicemeeter VAIO Aux? Do the sample rates shown in ProTools match that of Voicemeeter?

I'm not an expert, but this is where I would look next. Also the buffer sizes and other config parameters within ProTools.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

ok, you have the focusrite device...
well, so you may investigate in buffer size / samplerate parameter to find a stable configuration...
quickest workaround is maybe to use the WDM driver instead of ASIO in your case...

as it is explained there:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=506
spugaroony

Post by spugaroony »

sjc-or wrote: "Do you have ProTools configured to Audio Interface set to Voicemeeter VAIO Aux? Do the sample rates shown in ProTools match that of Voicemeeter?"

Good questions! The answers are Yes and Yes
sjc-or

Post by sjc-or »

Yes, so Vincent pointed out there are some issues with the Focusrite ASIO driver. He posted a link to the discussion so as he is the expert, it is probably best to take his advise and use the WDM driver instead in Ovicemeeter but then leave Pro-Tools to interface with VAIO drivers.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

you may first use ASIO driver as Voicemeeter output A1 (maybe with 512 sample buffer instead of 256).
and normally connect your Protools to Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO driver.
spugaroony

Post by spugaroony »

Thanks for all your help!

The WDM driver is working great with 1024 buffer size (nothing less works).

Latency is not good enough for recording, but the sound is great on playback.

I would love to whittle the latency down, but this is good enough for now.

Ed