Routing via Virtual Cable creates echo

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Krom

Routing via Virtual Cable creates echo

Post by Krom »

Hi,

I have ZOOM H1 for which I want to monitor the input, when I use it with a VOIP app and headphones. This monitoring signal should have much lower level when the output of the VOIP app.
I've found this topic where the similar solution for another problem is discussed: viewtopic.php?t=683
I wanted to achieve this with Voicemeeter Banana, because Potato simply can't fit my laptop screen :)

So my idea was to monitor the input signal by routing it to the VB-cable, setting the output volume lower and then monitoring and routing it to the main output either in Voicemeeter Banana or in Windows control panel (via "Listen to this device"). Both methods work, but the signal is "echoing", here is an example: https://sndup.net/9249
The paths are:
Hardware input 1 (microphone) -> A2 Hardware out (CABLE input). This out is attenuated to achieve the desired effect
Hardware input 2 (CABLE output) -> A1 Hardware out (headphones)
Hardware input 1 (microphone) -> B1 Virtual out (used in VOIP application, eg Skype)
Virtual input 1 (Voicemeeter VAIO) -> A1 Hardware out (headphones)

In theory this should simply feed my voice to both VOIP (at full volume) and my headphones (at reduced volume), but the latter sound is echoing
sjc-or

Re: Routing via Virtual Cable creates echo

Post by sjc-or »

Maybe check the buffer size used on the cable and decrease it to lowest possible value until sound starts breaking up. My AUdio cable installed at 7168 smp. Maybe try 1024 and see if that helps. You can also try doubling the sample rate, keep it a multiple of the sample rate of other devices so if they are at 48K make it 96K. Of course check your output device to see what driver you are using WDM is generally less latency than MME.
Krom

Post by Krom »

Thanks, sjc-or, this was the right direction for investigation. It turned out, that this is not echo, but audio is "breaking up" because of the buffering settings. For VB-cable buffering WDM value for clear sound turned out to be at least 768! I expected much less latency from VB-cable, since even my hardware outputs (eg ZOOM G3) work well with WDM buffering at 288.
So unfortunately monitoring this way is much less convenient than simply setting input to output directly. The latter produces essentially latency free monitoring, but usable only with Potato, where it is possible to control the volume level for this direct connection.
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. Since Zoom H1 Windows driver supports ASIO you could this alternative setup; it doesn't requires a VB-Cable:
  • Choose the ASIO option for Zoom H1 in the A1 Hardware Output selection list
  • PATCH ASIO Inputs to Strips 1 and 2
  • Set a different level in the faders for Hardware Input 1 and 2
  • Optionally turn on the mono button to duplicate the input to the left and right channel
  • Route to outputs according to your needs
See this screenshot for reference (I am using Realtek ASIO):
Duplicate ASIO Input using PATCH ASIO Inputs.png
Duplicate ASIO Input using PATCH ASIO Inputs.png (151.52 KiB) Viewed 14200 times
In a previous post You mentioned problems with the ASIO driver for the Zoom G3 so this alternative depends on testing the ASIO driver for Zoom H1.
Krom

Post by Krom »

Thanks Andres, but that didn't work unfortunately. ZOOM H1 ASIO seems to have the same problem as ZOOM G3 ASIO driver — Voicemeeter hangs when I try to patch inputs.

Also I've noticed that it's not possible to set an ASIO input for a device that doesn't have any output (e.g. IK Multimedia iRig Acoustic Stage — looks like I have all sorts of incompatible devices), but that's a different story.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

you may start by using latest version to get latest ASIO management version (some part have been corrected since this version) ....
also you may keep the default ASIO SR maybe...