Recording with mic bypasses limiter completely, whereas recording with the desktop output, does not

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
BoomToo

Recording with mic bypasses limiter completely, whereas recording with the desktop output, does not

Post by BoomToo »

Hi.

So I've set up Voicemeeter again recently, and I realize I had the same issue before (did just import the .xml, so no surprise there), and a whole new one.

I have a limiter in place on my mic via VM. When I record in whatever program, OBS, Audacity, etc. via my actual mic, the limiter does not work. But!, the limiter does work when I record via my VM desktop output.

The similar issue I'm facing, is with the limiter not working. Didn't work before I formatted, didn't work afterwards. The new problem, is that with the exact same settings imported from my old build, now I can't record my desktop audio separately, because my mic interferes and takes over the output. I can still control it exactly like I used to, turn the volume up and down on the slider, the correct audio coming out of my chosen sources (as in I cannot hear myself in my headphones). It is only while recording in other dedicated applications, that the error happens. It happens in three separate ones though, so I am certain that it is an error within VM. It only records my mic as well, not my desktop audio, when recording with the output.

In case it is relevant, I am using VM Potato.

Please help. Thanks.

EDIT: Actually, now none of my outputs work as intended. Can't record VAIO3 at all, and AUX doesn't seem to work either. VAIO is still my mic with a limiter in recording apps. Only my virtual cable is, but since it's installed as a HW input, that might make sense.
Andres

Re: Recording with mic bypasses limiter completely, whereas recording with the desktop output, does not

Post by Andres »

Hi. Sorry for the inconvenience but I am trying to understand your problem.
BoomToo wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:03 am I have a limiter in place on my mic via VM. When I record in whatever program, OBS, Audacity, etc. via my actual mic, the limiter does not work. But!, the limiter does work when I record via my VM desktop output.
If I understand correctly you have selected your microphone on a Voicemeeter Hardware Input. Then you have applied a limiter in the corresponding input strip.
If you record from external programs selecting directly your microphone, none of the effects applied by Voicemeeter will be available to the audio signal received by the external program. If you want to record the microphone signal with the applied effects you have to route the corresponding input to a virtual output (using B1, B2 o B3 in Voicemeeter Potato) and select the corresponding virtual output in your external recording program.
BoomToo wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:03 am The new problem, is that with the exact same settings imported from my old build, now I can't record my desktop audio separately, because my mic interferes and takes over the output. I can still control it exactly like I used to, turn the volume up and down on the slider, the correct audio coming out of my chosen sources (as in I cannot hear myself in my headphones). It is only while recording in other dedicated applications, that the error happens. It happens in three separate ones though, so I am certain that it is an error within VM. It only records my mic as well, not my desktop audio, when recording with the output.
Voicemeeter Potato provides you with 3 virtual outputs each one connected to a different bus (B1, B2 and B3). If you want to record your system audio it should be possible by routing the desired virtual input to one of the 3 virtual outputs. Could you please provide a screenshot of Voicemeeter to try to help you out?
BoomToo

Re: Recording with mic bypasses limiter completely, whereas recording with the desktop output, does not

Post by BoomToo »

Andres wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:17 am If you record from external programs selecting directly your microphone, none of the effects applied by Voicemeeter will be available to the audio signal received by the external program. If you want to record the microphone signal with the applied effects you have to route the corresponding input to a virtual output (using B1, B2 o B3 in Voicemeeter Potato) and select the corresponding virtual output in your external recording program.
You know, that was my initial understanding of it! However, I couldn't seem to find a specific source for it to choose from.

BoomToo wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:03 amVoicemeeter Potato provides you with 3 virtual outputs each one connected to a different bus (B1, B2 and B3). If you want to record your system audio it should be possible by routing the desired virtual input to one of the 3 virtual outputs. Could you please provide a screenshot of Voicemeeter to try to help you out?
Thing is, I've had this setup before, where it is supposed to record from the specific outputs I've chosen separately. So the other problem is not a HW input messing up. It is the specifically selected output that no longer responds to "monitoring" programs, like OBS, that is designed to capture audio from the various outputs I've specified. As in, if I connect Discord to my VM AUX output, it is supposed to record that output specifically. And it did, on my former build. But now, it doesn't respond at all to it. It is connected in VM, as in I can turn down my music separately by turning down VAIO 3, but the music is not captured by programs designed to capture the audio.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (184.03 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
In case you need a hi-res version to see it clearly:
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... LjlFmxkqQX

(The reason why A3 is turned on for my mic, is that I used to have a separate headset connected to A3, that I recently removed.)
Andres

Post by Andres »

Thank you for sharing additional details. Voicemeeter Potato provides 3 virtual outputs:
  1. Voicemeeter Output: Connected to B1
  2. Voicemeeter Aux Output: Connected to B2
  3. Voicemeeter VAIO3 Output: Connected to B3
You can see them in the Recording tab of Windows Sound control panel: (I use Voicemeeter Banana so I don't have VAIO3 Output)

Voicemeeter Virtual Output devices.png
Voicemeeter Virtual Output devices.png (118.94 KiB) Viewed 3798 times

For example, If you want to Record (or Monitor) Discord in OBS, turn on B2 in the virtual input labeled Comms and then select Voicemeeter Aux Output in the Audio - Devices section of OBS Studio Settings:

OBS Audio Device Selection Voicemeeter Aux Output B2.png
OBS Audio Device Selection Voicemeeter Aux Output B2.png (41.37 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
Hope this helps.