Potato problems with Behringer UM2 USB hardware interface

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Xilburqost

Potato problems with Behringer UM2 USB hardware interface

Post by Xilburqost »

I've been using Voicemeeter Potato with my Behringer U-Phoria UM2 USB Audio Interface for performing for virtual open mics via Zoom. Love it! The sound quality comes through well. Problems:

1) Latency: There's significant latency (1/10th of a second?) between what I play and what I hear via my headphones. The latency is so bad that I have to remove my headphones when it's my turn to perform. Vocal mic, instrument, and headphones are all connected to the UM2 USB audio interface.

2) Potato sees UM2 inputs 1 & 2 as a single hardware left stereo channel input only; how do I separate UM2's inputs into Potato Hardware 1 and Hardware 2?

I've reviewed the manual and tutorials to no avail thus far. Also I use the UM2 with my DAW (Reaper) and Reaper both sees the two hardware inputs and latency is minimal.

Thanks.

Voicemeeter Potato v3.0.1.4 Licensed
Windows 10 Home v2004
Behringer U-Phoria UM2 USB Audio Interface
Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver - Version 1.0.12.17 - x64
All devices set to 48khz 16 bit
Attachments
voicemeeter_potatoes_settings_xil.zip
My Potato settings
(3.8 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Xilburqost

Re: Potato problems with Behringer UM2 USB hardware interface

Post by Xilburqost »

I seem to have tamed the latency by switching from WDM to KS drivers and setting the buffering to 128 in the Potato System Settings.
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. According to the settings file you have chosen the WDM option for your Behringer UM2 as A1 device. It should also be possible to choose the ASIO option for the Behringer interface at A1. It should be available since you installed the ASIO driver.

When you select the ASIO option at A1, you can use the System Settings / Options.. window to PATCH ASIO input to Strips. This way you can "patch" the ASIO Input 1 to Hardware Input 1 and the ASIO Input 2 to Hardware Input 2.

ASIO could reduce the latency compared to MME or WDM; you have to try with the different buffer sizes.
This video explains how to use an ASIO device with Voicemeeter: https://youtu.be/35N8hkOy8h4

Hope this helps
Xilburqost

Post by Xilburqost »

Hi Andres, thank you for the reply. For some reason the ASIO drivers are not available for the A1 hardware INPUT, but they are available--and work--for the A1 hardware OUTPUT (see attached screenshot). Why are ASIO drivers not available for input? Am I missing something?

Thanks again.
Attachments
voicemeeter_potatoes_settings_xil--2.zip
(3.84 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
potato_input_output_options.jpg
potato_input_output_options.jpg (209.64 KiB) Viewed 8294 times
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. Voicemeeter does not allows you to choose ASIO from Hardware Inputs selection list. To use ASIO at Hardware Inputs you should try this:
  1. Choose - remove device selection - from the desired Hardware Input selection list (It is be the last option)
  2. Select System Settings / Options... from the menu and look for PATCH ASIO Inputs to Strips. To the right of each INput you can select which channel of your interface is connected to the corresponding Hardware Input

It looks like this (I am using Voicemeeter Banana)

PATCH ASIO Inputs to Strips.png
    PATCH ASIO Inputs to Strips.png (71.56 KiB) Viewed 8265 times
  3. You should see the ASIO Input appears under the Hardware Input
    ASIO Input.png
    ASIO Input.png (118.43 KiB) Viewed 8265 times
  4. Optionally activate the mono button in each hardware input to duplicate the signal to the left and right channel
Xilburqost

Post by Xilburqost »

Suggestion 2 works! It separates the UM2's two hardware inputs (mic is in 1, instrument is in 2), and the latency is manageable.

On a hunch I restored the 48khz simply by rebooting my PC.

Thank you again VERY much for your help! :)