Optimize sound quality for Spotify (No Re-Sampling)

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
ronkuper

Optimize sound quality for Spotify (No Re-Sampling)

Post by ronkuper »

Hello,

As I've read at multiple threads here the sampling rate of VoiceMeeter and the source application (Spotify) should ideally be the same to avoid re-sampling by VoiceMeeter.

It would be great to clarify:
1. Assuming Spotify outputs @ 44.1K 16bit (That's what I've read, do you know otherwise?), does this means setting VoiceMeeter "Preferred Main SampleRate" to 44100 Hz to assure no re-sampling?
2. Is this at the expense of other application sources (e.g. Roon, JRIVER, videos on VLC, etc) which can output at higher sampling rates? Is there a workaround for that?
3. When using VoiceMeeter, is Windows Re-Sampler still in the game and needs to be accounted for in any other setting in Windows?
4. Assuming Spotify doesn't open VoiceMeeter VAIO in WDM (exclusive?) mode, is it still relevant?
5. Is there a way to verify Spotify output resolution with VoiceMeeter? Perhaps routing it through A2 and see the resolution matched by VM?
6. Is there a way to verify no re-sampling is going on?

With huge appreciation for VB-Audio and the amazing work (licensed to show).

Ron
Andres

Re: Optimize sound quality for Spotify (No Re-Sampling)

Post by Andres »

Hi. I am not an expert. Just trying to contribute to the topic.
ronkuper wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:00 pm 1. Assuming Spotify outputs @ 44.1K 16bit (That's what I've read, do you know otherwise?), does this means setting VoiceMeeter "Preferred Main SampleRate" to 44100 Hz to assure no re-sampling?
It is necessary in most cases (WDM, KS, MME). Of course It is also necessary that the device selected at A1 supports Preferred Main SampleRate; 44100 Hz in this particular case. Since the device selected as A1 Hardware Output sets the main sample rate internally used by Voicemeeter, you should also consider the case when choosing ASIO devices:
  • [ASIO] Voicemeeter Settings include a SR option. Choose Use Preferred Samplerate to try to use the desired sample rate (the ASIO driver could not support the Preferred Main SampleRate; 44100 Hz should be supported in almost all devices).
¿Is it sufficient to assure no re-sampling? I think it is not; it also depends on the interface (API) used by the Spotify app to send the audio to Voicemeeter VAIO devices.
ronkuper

Post by ronkuper »

Thanks, makes sense.

I wish VoiceMeeter could be configured to match the source application's sampling rate.
This way I could have optimal sampling rate for each client app:
Spotify/Browsers/Netflix/etc --> VoiceMeeter VAIO [Shared] --> 44.1 (resample if needed) --> A1
Roon/VLC --> VoiceMeeter AUX [Client Exclusive Mode] -- content sampling rate (resample if not supported) --> A1

Unless I'm missing something in the configuration it seems that VoiceMeeter (Potato) always uses the main sampling rate with the audio interface (A1/A2) regardless of the sampling rate the application uses (client exclusive mode or otherwise) with the VAIO/AUX/VAIO3.

I realize working at a constant sampling rate is needed by VoiceMeeter if it is used as a software audio mixer, in order to mix sources of different sampling rates, but if used for HTPC it is a sonic compromise.

Perhaps having a new setting options like "Follow VAIO Sampling Rate when used with WDM Input Exclusive Mode" to automatically set the "preferred main samplerate" as the sample rate used by the application with the VAIO.
Andres

Post by Andres »

ronkuper wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:01 pmUnless I'm missing something in the configuration it seems that VoiceMeeter (Potato) always uses the main sampling rate with the audio interface (A1/A2) regardless of the sampling rate the application uses (client exclusive mode or otherwise) with the VAIO/AUX/VAIO3.
That's right. Only the user can change Voicemeeter's main sample rate using the System Settings / Options... window. In addition to being used as the sampling rate for the A1 device, the main sample rate is also used for the mixing process, virtual ASIO points and the internal sample rate of all Voicemeeter virtual devices (VAIO/AUX/VAIO3)

Applications using Voicemeeter virtual devices (VAIO/AUX/VAIO3) in shared mode will use the sampling rate associated with the Default Format selected by the user in the Advanced tab of the Properties window of the corresponding device (Windows Sound control panel). Sample Rate Conversion could take place in two places depending on the configuration and the source content sampling rate.

Applications using Voicemeeter virtual devices (VAIO/AUX/VAIO3) in WDM exclusive mode will select the desired sample rate from the available options of that devices according to rheir needs (for example source audio content sampling rate). They are not restricted in any way by Voicemeeter's main sample rate. If they choose a sampling rate different than Voicemeeter main sample rate, conversion will take place.
ronkuper

Post by ronkuper »

Yes, I got that. Thank you for explaining.

I was suggesting a new feature in the second part :)

Can you see the benefits?