Sidetone and latency

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
andro_bernard

Sidetone and latency

Post by andro_bernard »

It continues to surprise me that gaming headphones have no sidetone, unless you get some with a USB device. Personally I find sidetone very necessary for talk on apps like Skype and Wire. One of my principal intended uses of Potato is to provide sidetone from the headset mic. Using the mic on a hardware input and the app on a virtual input, this half works, but there is high latency from the mic. How can I reduce the mic latency so it's much closer to real time?

I find this a strange topic because you can get really cheap Plantronics Rig headsets for example that have sidetone built in with no fuss, but mine fell to bits from overwork!

I know there is some information on latency in the PDF docs, but I confess I find it very difficult to understand what to do in this use case.
Andres

Re: Sidetone and latency

Post by Andres »

Hi. Apparently this use case does not use Voicemeeter virtual audio devices (VAIO) since audio is captured from the headset microphone through a hardware input and routed to the headset earphone through a hardware output.
You could consider:
  • Use the WDM option for your output device (headset earphone) and input device (headset microphone). WDM default buffer size is smaller than MME.
  • If possible avoid Sampling Rate Conversion. Voicemeeter System Settings / Options... window shows you the sample rate used for input and output devices. Try to use the same sample rate as the Voicemeeter main sample rate which is based on A1 device.
You can also experiment with:
  • Voicemeeter WDM Input Exclusive mode: By default this option is disabled. Use with care.
  • Select a smaller buffer size for WDM. Also use with care.
Take these as general suggestions and let us know if one of them improves your setup.