No sound in Microsoft Teams

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
montafon

No sound in Microsoft Teams

Post by montafon »

Hi,

Microsoft is driving me crazy.... all modern webconferencing tools have as "input" a webcam and a microphone. Same for Microsoft Teams. I am producing content in OBS and it works fine to use a "virtual webcam" for the video but I am struggeling with audio.

I tried everything and I can't get it working: There must be something in the background that sets the sound level in Teams to zero when Voicemeeter is selected as "microphone." I did exact the same tests with Zoom and there is works pefectly fine.

Any ideas? I am tried various computers with different sound cards, with VB cable and without but I just does not work. Sometimes you get sound for a second but then it is gone again.

Please help!
Andres

Re: No sound in Microsoft Teams

Post by Andres »

Hi. ¿Could you please post a Voicemeeter screenshot and maybe a Microsoft Teams Audio Settings?
montafon

Post by montafon »

Ok, here some screenshots:

a) Teams with external Mic, works perfectly fine
direct.JPG
direct.JPG (45.61 KiB) Viewed 11535 times

b) Teams with "Sound" from Voicemeeter - Video Sound from VLC:
VLC Sound Output ----->>>>> Voice Meter Input AUX ------>>> B1 virtual Output ----->>>> Microphone in Teams "Voicemeeter Output VAIO)
voicemeeter.JPG
voicemeeter.JPG (223.1 KiB) Viewed 11535 times
vm settings.JPG
vm settings.JPG (32.96 KiB) Viewed 11535 times
Sometimes....
... there is no sound arriving to the participants in the meeting
... sometimes they here kind of the first sound of the song but then silence
... sometimes the sound quality is ultra-bad (like a 70ties telephone)
... typicall voice only is crystal clear

What is also possible? Microsoft Teams is doing some "magic" in the background and modifying the sound/filtering. But it is VERY annoying because you cannot show a video with music for instance during a meeting. I also have the impressions as if one of the participant talks than the music is muted.

Anybody else experiencing the same? Any solution to this? Again, my problem is sending out sound with music into Teams, don't worry about the incoming sound - that's all fine and I have it "under control".

Thank you and merci!
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. Some general comments from my experience:
  • I use Microsoft Teams with Voicemeeter Banana on a daily basis for voice calls. Not music involved.
  • Applications like Microsoft Teams, Discord or Zoom are optimized for voice. They incorporate processing like noise reduction or voice activity detection to provide the best possible experience for the participants prioritizing voice over any other type of sound signal.
  • Microsoft Teams recommends you set the noise reduction level to Low or Off when you need the other people to hear music. I see that you made your tests using the Low option.
    montafon wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:55 pm a) Teams with external Mic, works perfectly fine
    Did you use a music source in that test?
    montafon wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:55 pmAnybody else experiencing the same? Any solution to this?...
    I made a test call using Voicemeeter AUX Output as Teams microphone and with noise suppression set to Off and the music played back but with a typical telephone-like quality. I think there could not be a solution to this from the Voicemeeter side since Teams process all the audio it receives from the microphone always trying to optimize it for voice. When other participants speak, Teams will also try to let you hear that participant's voice over your music.

When you are going to share your screen in Teams there is a checkbox labelled Include computer sound. I use that to share some videos with audio and the audio quality is acceptable.
Maybe some other users can share their suggestions. Please let us know if we can provide additional help.
montafon

Post by montafon »

Hi Andres,

thank you for your comments and efforts in this. I am sure many people are interested in this topic as Microsoft currently flushed the world with "free" Teams with every Office365 package....

I also did experiments with all kind of noise reduction settings in Teams, there was no difference.
Teams process all the audio it receives from the microphone always trying to optimize it for voice. When other participants speak, Teams will also try to let you hear that participant's voice over your music.
Absolutley, this is also what we experienced, even if we do mix Voice and music in Voicemeeter and input it into Teams, the participants can hear the voice pretty well over the music.

What unfortunately I did not get working is that sharing the screen and using "include computer sound" to get a Voicemeeter output as "computer sound". I MUST change back to sound settings without voicemeeter. It seems that Teams does not accept Voicemeeter as "system sound".
systemsound not possible.JPG
systemsound not possible.JPG (76.97 KiB) Viewed 11522 times
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. To Include computer sound using the Share content control, Microsoft Teams speaker device and Windows Default Playback device should be set to the same device. See the second note here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 061a0d8e3b

So for example if you are using Voicemeeter Aux Input as your Speaker in Teams, you should select that device as the Default playback device in Windows.

Is it possible to use the same device in your setup?
montafon

Post by montafon »

Hi, to give you an update on my findings:

Voicemeeter works perfectly well. The problem is with Microsoft Teams. Something is happend there on their servers and you don't know exactly what. And it seems as if Microsoft is playing around with the settings frequently. I guess they are also trying to improve their product.

At the moment I was starting this thread in the forum here music did not work at all. Now - out of a sudden - music works. The problem is for the presenter/the musician: the moment someone else in this meetings makes a noice/says something the music level is lowered and this noice is given priority.

Let's hope that Corona helps that all online Meeting providers do a massive product improvement. It's pretty well today for people discussing but for broadcasting a webinar with the option that people interrupt and ask a question - there the current solutions on the market are not ideal.

Thank you for your hints and comments in this thread.
brucequinn

Post by brucequinn »

My experience is that 1 time in 20 when I have to use Microsoft Teams, this makes Voicemeeter and Zoom stop working and it is very very hard to fix.
##
I usually use Voicemeeter Virtual Output to create a small sound delay to sync OBS Studio Video and my microphone in ZOOM.

Once in a while, not very often, when I have to use Microsoft Teams, the next time Voicemeeter and ZOOM stop working. (This is not "voice or music" type of problem, it completely stops). It may start working again after several different reboots, uninstall, reinstall, etc, but it is very haphazard and confusing.