Issue with X-Fi Titanium's CMSS-3D and general upmix

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Kaijobu

Issue with X-Fi Titanium's CMSS-3D and general upmix

Post by Kaijobu »

Hello all!

I am enjoying VoiceMeeter very much. However, for a couple of months I have an issue with my soundcard not doing it's usual "upmixing" and sound "manipulation" (excuse my lack of terms, but I am just starting to learn the topics regarding sound).

I have an old 5.1 speaker setup, which I want to exchange with a newer hardware. Not so important right now.
However, I want to fix my sound card features not working first before I tackle the new task.
What I could notice immediately is that stereo sound chained through VoiceMeeter first and then pass through-ed with "Normal" to my WDM creative speaker will not upmix my sound to come out through all of my speakers, only front left and right (not even center). With "Upmix TV" it works, as VoiceMeeter takes care of that.
Without VoiceMeeter and direct sound output to my speakers through the sound card, it will somehow upmix the sound to also active the center speakers for a better sound.

However, CMSS-3D doesn't seem to work at all. This should distribute the sound to all of my speakers surrounding me (via Stereo Xpand), if it is active.
Does someone else also have these issues with VoiceMeeter (Banana) and an X-Fi Titanium card?
My initial thought was that with VoiceMeeter I can split and distribute various sources to my liking, but still leaving my soundcard to do its magic. Is my assumption wrong?

If you want to have any more settings I can offer, please feel free to ask.
Every little help is appreciated.
Kaijobu

Re: Issue with X-Fi Titanium's CMSS-3D and general upmix

Post by Kaijobu »

To add to my initial post, here are my VoiceMeeter system settings. https://imgur.com/a/2P89Lxq
VoiceMeeter settings - Imgur.png
VoiceMeeter settings - Imgur.png (76.18 KiB) Viewed 3555 times
I tried to use also the ASIO for my A1 Creative SB X-Fi, but I couldn't manage to make it work that well, also within the latency settings. I might not yet understand these appropriately.

Can someone help me with the settings and this particular sound card to make the card's features work again? Is it maybe due to the 'WDM Input Exclusive Mode'?
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. ¿Could you try using the MME option for your speakers on A1 Hardware Input? Please also set WDM Input Exclusive Mode to No. The recommended value for the Engine Mode is Normal.
Kaijobu

Post by Kaijobu »

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your recommendations.

I tried both ideas, but they didn't give the hoped result. I had set up these options of Exclusive Mode and Engine Mode to reduce the perceived delay as best as possible without noise issues.
So I deinstalled and reinstalled the newest VoiceMeeter version (2.0.5.8), where I noticed the WDM Input Exclusive Mode as well as the Engine Mode to be deactivated, but still showing "Yes" and "Swift" respectively.
I then used the "Reset Settings (Re-Initialization)" option, which reset both settings to "No" and "Normal". (Where are these settings saved? They don't seem to be in the saveable xml file.)
Sadly, the delay is more perceivable again, but one step at a time.

Either way, I still couldn't use the 3D upmixing features of my sound card.

What I have noticed through experimenting was that WDM now seems to be exclusive by default as I couldn't use the speaker checks on the right side.
That is probably intended. Clicking on the THX Button opens another configuration panel, where I can now click on the speakers to check the setup. This will now get routed through VoiceMeeter and I can hear the respective test sounds through the correct speaker.
However, this only works when I have the A1 speaker output set to WDM. If I change it to MME, I can use the buttons on the first screenshot without problems (as this is not exclusive anymore, I assume), but in the THX console, the rear speaker icons won't present sound through the rear speakers anymore. Can this be due to the Windows configuration setup, where the 5.1 configuration will present side speakers and not rear speakers (which my default speaker drivers will show)? How can I influence these? Is this something which can be fixed on my side or can I not use the MME protocol until this is fixed on VoiceMeeter's side?

And what does VoiceMeeter do with stereo sound that I still cannot use the 3D upmixing capabilities my sound card offers, but only use it if I use my speaker directly as a default device on Windows?

Kind regards!