Organising Audio Channels on Potato

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
WilliamCampbell

Organising Audio Channels on Potato

Post by WilliamCampbell »

I'm running the latest version of VM Potato, great software, and I am using it to record a number of inputs on separate channels of a WAV file. Basically I have:

Hardware Input 1: My microphone
Vaio: Skype
Aux: VoIP telephone
Vaio 3: an audio player to play in sound clips

I also want to control what audio channels get what output too. For example I don't want to hear my own voice, so I switch off A1, my earphones, for my microphone.

But I also want Skype to hear me, the audio clips, and the telephone, but not the Skype input because that would cause an echo.
For the telephone I want it to hear me and the audio clips. I would like to be able to switch reliably so that it can sometimes hear the input from skype, but not always, and I don't want to send it back its own audio, again to avoid echo.

The problem I have is that I can't seem to reliably send (and sometimes not send) the skype and phone audio to each other. I would be very grateful if someone could advice what the best settings might be.

In Windows 10:
  • I have skype input and output to be the input and output from Vaio;
    I have telephone input and output to be the input and output from AUX;
    I have audio player output set to Vaio 3;
I think that I have this correct trying to send Skype and Telephone to each other with B1 and B2, but it's just not coming through reliably.

This is what I have for the outputs:

Also, I'm not clear what this horizontal fader and the M button does that appears for any running program. It seems to have some impact on levels but I can't work out what it is.

It would be great to get any suggestions. Thanks!
Andres

Re: Organising Audio Channels on Potato

Post by Andres »

Hi. Voicemeeter audio routing looks perfectly fine with B1 and B2 controlling what is sent to Skype and Telephone.
WilliamCampbell wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:12 pmI think that I have this correct trying to send Skype and Telephone to each other with B1 and B2, but it's just not coming through reliably.
Could you please describe a little further this issue? The sound clips )VAIO3) are voice or music clips? Typically Skype and other VoIP applications are optimized for voice and may require additional configuration to include music in a call.

Voicemeeter Potato virtual inputs provides a list of up to 4 applications that are using each of the virtual inputs with volume and mute controls. It is reflecting the Windows system volume mixer but limited to 4 applications excluding the System Sounds. You can find the Windows volume mixer by right clicking the Speaker icon on the notification area and selecting the volume mixer option.

I you want we can try to make a Skype test call to review this issue. Let me know in a Private Message.
WilliamCampbell

Post by WilliamCampbell »

Thanks for getting back to me, I'll try to answer everything as accurately as I can.
Andres wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:01 pm Hi. Voicemeeter audio routing looks perfectly fine with B1 and B2 controlling what is sent to Skype and Telephone.
WilliamCampbell wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:12 pmI think that I have this correct trying to send Skype and Telephone to each other with B1 and B2, but it's just not coming through reliably.
Could you please describe a little further this issue? The sound clips )VAIO3) are voice or music clips? Typically Skype and other VoIP applications are optimized for voice and may require additional configuration to include music in a call.
They are typically voice, but they may contain some music. I don't have to have great quality going down the line to Skype or the telephone, mostly just so that the person at the other end can hear what is said and be able to comment on it. I'm recording all the channels including the clips obviously.

Andres wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:01 pm Voicemeeter Potato virtual inputs provides a list of up to 4 applications that are using each of the virtual inputs with volume and mute controls.
Is this separate to me patching through the output of audio-creating software, or is it the same thing? For example, I have set one channel as the 'speaker' for Skype, and the other as the speaker for the phone, but I want to control that so that (for example) I could allow my skype caller to hear all the audio as I interview someone on the phone, and the skype caller could give me talkback prompts as my producer, but no have them heard by the interviewee on the telephone?
EdK

Post by EdK »

Hi William,

Don't know if this will help. I have a similar issue with Zoom. I don't use Skype so this may not apply.
Anyway, something (either Zoom or Windows) will lose what I pointed Zoo's mic and speaker to VM. For example, I have Zoom's mic pointing to VM Aux Output and Zoom's speaker pointing to VM Aux Input. But from time to time, Zoom will randomly change to something else with no indication/warning that this happened.

Also, I found the proper sequence is to start your Apps before starting VM. But in my case, I need to start Zoom last (after VM is up and running).

As for the (up to 4) Apps being displayed in the virtual input channels with some Apps being duplicated in an other input channels you didn't choose, I'm told this is due to a Windows bug. Personally, I don't like the Apps being displayed there. It's very confusing.

Don't know if this will help you but it's worth checking out.

Ed