TTS to Skype for speech impaired

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
duhquark

TTS to Skype for speech impaired

Post by duhquark »

I have an accessibility problem I think can be solved with VB-Audio software, but I'm not certain how to do it. My wife has ALS, resulting in a speech impediment. She has a specialized windows PC with text to speech (TTS) software, either from keyboard or eye gaze typing. I want to set it up so she can make Skype telephone calls, talk by TTS, listen normally. A recent Microsoft update to Skype removed the capability to connect Skype to the Communicator Software that does eye gaze and keyboard translation into speech. A bonus would be if I could talk on the microphone concurrently so I could help in some calls. Can I do this, and what would the steps be? I need to connect the TTS output to Skype input (instead of speakers) and Skype output to speakers, and if possible, leave the microphone open concurrently on the Skype call.
Andres

Re: TTS to Skype for speech impaired

Post by Andres »

Hi. The general steps should be similar to these: (You can use Voicemeeter Standard)
  • Choose the MME option for your speakers at A1 Hardware Output
  • Choose the WDM option for your microphone on Hardware Input 1
  • In your TTS software choose Voicemeeter Input as your output device. This connects TTS software to Voicemeeter virtual input
  • Turn off the A button on all of the inputs. Turn on B button on all inputs.
  • In Skype choose Voicemeeter Output as your microphone
  • Use your speakers as the Windows default output device
Voicemeeter Standard Mic + TTS.png
Voicemeeter Standard Mic + TTS.png (145.95 KiB) Viewed 4764 times
Hope this helps. Please let us know if you need further assistance.
duhquark

Post by duhquark »

Thank you. I will try this. Is there an easy way to switch between the normal PC mic/speaker configuration and the voicemeeter one? I am looking at Soundswitch. I need a hotkey or the like.
duhquark

Post by duhquark »

The TTS provides no way to redirect its output from the default communications device. I made it work by making the VBcableIN the default playback device, running the output into Skype. This leaves out the microphone. I tried using Voicemeeter with the mike as directed, tried cable into both of the remaining Voicemeeter inputs, one at a time. Never managed to get any sound out to skype or to the speakers. Is there some problem I should look for? Are there special settings for cable inputs?
duhquark

Post by duhquark »

Solved, by switching inputs to A rather than B, since they go to physical output. The rest of the accessibility problem is solved using nircmd.exe to set up desktop icons that switch the default output to speakers or to vb-cable for using Skype or Zoom. Thanks for the help