Struggling to understand audio control with VM Potato and OBS

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
npudar

Struggling to understand audio control with VM Potato and OBS

Post by npudar »

I have read the manuals, and watched every YouTube video I can find, but am still struggling understanding a few things.

Using VM Potato, I have:

Chrome Browser as Hardware Input 2 through Cable A (then mapped to A1 headphone, and B1 output)
Spotify app as Hardware Input 3 through Cable B (then mapped to A1 headphone, and B1 output)

QUESTION 1
In OBS, I have Desktop Audio set to VoiceMeeter Input (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO) (It only allows "Input" items to be selected.)
With this setup, I would have expected the B1 output (from Chrome and Spotify) to go to the OBS Desktop. Why doesn't it?

QUESTION 2
Then I tried to set up OBS Mic/Aux Audio 2 to Cable A Output, and OBS Mic/Aux Audio 3 to Cable B Output.
Now, both of those sources are playing and recordable in OBS, but I can't control their levels (or mute them) from within VoiceMeeter.
Does the Cable A and B setup bypass the VoiceMeeter control?

QUESTION 3
Finally, I setup the OBS Mic/Aux Audio 2 to VoiceMeeter Output (AB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO).
This now allows me to control the Spotify and Chrome levels separately, and the B1 output separately from within VoiceMeeter.
Why is this different than the setup in question 2?

Thanks for great software, and your support!

EDIT:
So this is my current setup that is mostly working:
VoiceMeeter:
Chrome Browser as Hardware Input 2 through Cable A (then mapped to A1 headphone, and B1 output)
Spotify app as Hardware Input 3 through Cable B (then mapped to A1 headphone, and B1 output)
OBS:
Mic/Aux 2 set to VoiceMeeter Output (AB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO)

So, regardless of how I setup the Microphone in OBS or Zoom (with or without VoiceMeeter as control), I can either get just the Microphone to record in a Zoom meeting, (but not music or Chrome content) -- OR just the other content from OBS (but not the microphone).

There must be something simple that I am missing (hopefully it is simple).

Thanks
joshsstuff

Re: Struggling to understand audio control with VM Potato and OBS

Post by joshsstuff »

With this setup, I would have expected the B1 output (from Chrome and Spotify) to go to the OBS Desktop. Why doesn't it?
Your assuming this because VAO is "Default"? - This is only true in OBS if you set specific inputs to VAO.

Have you tried mapping OBS to the original Virtual Cable?
If you prefer to use A & B for Chrome & Spotify, then map OBS to another virtual cable.

This would be a simple matter to send the output of OBS wherever you like and in turn map OBS input the the vanilla V Cable.
There is an OBS plugin for Voicemeeter, but I've not used it so I don't know if it will help, but the routing of Audio in OBS is complex and must be set up per-scene.
When you select an audio source you will be given the option of setting it's input source.
Barring the plug-in I'm not sure if there is a simpler way. . .
QUESTION 3
Finally, I setup the OBS Mic/Aux Audio 2 to VoiceMeeter Output (AB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO).
This now allows me to control the Spotify and Chrome levels separately, and the B1 output separately from within VoiceMeeter.
Why is this different than the setup in question 2?
It's because you have configured this in OBS.
So, regardless of how I setup the Microphone in OBS or Zoom (with or without VoiceMeeter as control), I can either get just the Microphone to record in a Zoom meeting, (but not music or Chrome content) -- OR just the other content from OBS (but not the microphone).
Google "Loopback" This is what you wish to do with OBS.
i.e. to record a source (such as a Zoom meeting) but also add your mic to the recording mix (because the Zoom is a "mix minus" as an output to prevent feedback)
you must ADD your mic output to the dedicated recording channel as a composite recording.

If the 2nd source of a loopback (i.e. mic audio) is mapped to a hardware input it's a simple matter of routing that audio to the recording bus you choose.