Which Macro command to use for launching desktop programs??

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
PRKid

Which Macro command to use for launching desktop programs??

Post by PRKid »

I am interested in using Voicemeeter Potato's macro capabilities, and as part of that, I would like the ability to launch programs *.exe (games, applications and so forth). I tested the System.Execute("%windir%\write.exe","%TMP%",""); function with my parameters, yet, it appears this function is specific to windows environment program execution, and not general applications. Is there a way to perform what I am trying to accomplish? Any ideas for me to test would certainly be welcomed. Thank you!
xcasxcursex

Re: Which Macro command to use for launching desktop programs??

Post by xcasxcursex »

Hmm, this is working for me. Perhaps there's some issue with your parameters?

I created one to test just now, I simply copied your command, pasted it into the 'Request for button ON' field in the macro button configuration, and replaced "%windir%\write.exe" with the path to my program, replaced "%TMP%" with the path to my program's working directory, then clicked OK, clicked the button, and it worked.

Perhaps you could grab a screenshot of your configuration for us?
PRKid

Post by PRKid »

xcasxcursex wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:17 am Hmm, this is working for me. Perhaps there's some issue with your parameters?

I created one to test just now, I simply copied your command, pasted it into the 'Request for button ON' field in the macro button configuration, and replaced "%windir%\write.exe" with the path to my program, replaced "%TMP%" with the path to my program's working directory, then clicked OK, clicked the button, and it worked.

Perhaps you could grab a screenshot of your configuration for us?
Thank you very much for your reply. I will re-test right now and post a screenshot. So, maybe a different issue on my setup if it works as intended.

Again, thank you!
PRKid

Post by PRKid »

Update - I figured out that I was following a YouTube video in which they were highlighting the macro functions and the focus was on the mute/unmute along with fading, yet, when they explained that one could also run programs they inadvertently placed the generic command inside the "Request For Initial State", and NOT, the 'Request for button ON' field. Plus, they actually never tested a program within video.

Then while reading your post, it "clicked" that I entered the data in the incorrect field. So, just cut & paste my info from the RFIS to the RFB On fields and it worked! I feel a little embarrassed now.

Again, thank you very much!

:oops: PRKid
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

Ahh, good to hear. I mentioned that field name deliberately as I thought maybe that might be the issue, I'm really glad I did, now! :)

BTW, that 'Initial State' field can still be useful - since that command is always run at startup to initialise the button, if you want to launch another app any time the macro buttons app starts, you can use the command in there.
PRKid

Post by PRKid »

xcasxcursex wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:58 pm Ahh, good to hear. I mentioned that field name deliberately as I thought maybe that might be the issue, I'm really glad I did, now! :)

BTW, that 'Initial State' field can still be useful - since that command is always run at startup to initialise the button, if you want to launch another app any time the macro buttons app starts, you can use the command in there.
Again, thank you! Once I come up with a proper app to launch during the initialization process, I will certainly test that option.