Voicemeeter Banana - inputs and outputs on Windows sound panel

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Jose Hidalgo

Voicemeeter Banana - inputs and outputs on Windows sound panel

Post by Jose Hidalgo »

Hi everybody :) I'm currently discovering Voicemeeter Banana and so far I'm very happy.
I have only a remaining question. It's not really important, I'd just like to know.

When I go to Win10 Sound Panel and I check Voicemeeter input and output properties, I can go to 24bit but not to 32bit. Is there a reason for that ?
Both my player (foobar) and my DACs work internally in 32bit (and Voicemeeter too I guess, at least for ASIO according to its settings), so I would have liked if Voicemeeter inputs and outputs were seen by Windows 32bit too. Everything would be consistent. Is there a way to achieve that ?

I'm sure I wouldn't hear the difference anyway, but theoretically 32bit would provide more headroom for lossless digital volume control. With 24bit the volume control remains lossless until approximately -48dB, and with 32bit it would be until approximately -96dB.

Thanks !
Jose Hidalgo

Re: Voicemeeter Banana - inputs and outputs on Windows sound panel

Post by Jose Hidalgo »

... Hello ?... :?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

Never heard about a DAC working in 32 bits (don't know if the hardware component even exists).

That's why usually device cannot be set in 32bits resolution.
oterwise it means you talk about audio interface like ASIO or DSP application like DAW, plug-ins etc...
Jose Hidalgo

Post by Jose Hidalgo »

Hello Vincent. I'm sorry to disagree, but this is my DAC. As you can see it works in 32 bits :
https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/434825.html
https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/dac-avec ... 14486.html

It's seen by Windows as 32 bits, and I've set it to 32/44.1 via the Sound panel.
No ASIO, it's connected to Voicemeeter Banana via MME.

Many other DACs work in 32 bits nowadays, I could give you several examples. :)
Jose Hidalgo

Post by Jose Hidalgo »

Vincent Burel wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:35 pm Never heard about a DAC working in 32 bits (don't know if the hardware component even exists).
You're not answering ?... :?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

there is no real question,
as i suggested, even if there is now existing 32bit DAC apparently, we are negotiating 24 or 16 bit resolution only, with Windows audio device.
(ASIO interface is usually in 32bits per default).

REM: 24 bit resolution can already manage 138 dB dynamic and with usually 3 to 4 LSB bits of noise floor, this is making 120 dB useful dynamique max.
Jose Hidalgo

Post by Jose Hidalgo »

I absolutely agree :) My only question was if there was a reason for Voicemeeter to remain 24bit when Windows allows for 32bit, apps like foobar work in 32bit internally and DACs are now 32bit. I wanted to know if it was a design choice, or if there was something wrong on my end. Now I know that it's a design choice.

Of course audio quality shouldn't be affected. Like I said in the OP, "I'm sure I wouldn't hear the difference anyway, but theoretically 32bit would provide more headroom for lossless digital volume control. With 24bit the volume control remains lossless until approximately -48dB, and with 32bit it would be until approximately -96dB."

Anyway, I'm happy with 24bit operation. And at least now you know there are 32bit DACs, so if one day you want to make Voicemeeter 32bit, you know that now there are many equipments able to benefit from it. ;)
TestXpress

Post by TestXpress »

Can confirm, DAC's have improved a lot over the last years, even the ones directly on the mainboard. Mine goes up to 32 Bit / 192 kHz and can even drive my 300 ohms headphones. But I would agree that most people won't hear any difference between 24 and 32 bit, it may just increase cpu usage for nothing.

On the other hand, like Jose already said, they exist and even if most people won't benefit from it, you could think about putting it on the list for a future release.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

32 bits does not require more CPU than 24 bits, (in fact maybe less, since 24bits is not right aligned to 32 bits data structure).

The problem is more on windows side, how Microsoft manage this format and how many time we are going to lose on this to find a reliable negotiation procedure... anyway it's noted ! (buy 32bits DAC ! :-) )
TestXpress

Post by TestXpress »

Vincent Burel wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:33 am 32 bits does not require more CPU than 24 bits, (in fact maybe less, since 24bits is not right aligned to 32 bits data structure).
Wasn't sure about it, but yeah, most systems nowdays have 64 bit, so... I think you're right, shouldn't really make a difference. It's more the sample rate, I guess.
Vincent Burel wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:33 am The problem is more on windows side, how Microsoft manage this format and how many time we are going to lose on this to find a reliable negotiation procedure...
Yep, the Windows Audio stack drives me crazy. Such a buggy thing for something that I would call "basic functionality". We can just hope that they will fix that "soon"...