nanoKONTROL2, MIDI mapping and feedback

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
VRPX

nanoKONTROL2, MIDI mapping and feedback

Post by VRPX »

Hello everyone,

before the the new midi feedback functionality was added I used Macro Buttons to switch the lightning state of the buttons on my Korg nanoKONTROL2, which worked fine, although a hassle to set it up. Sadly I was not able to get the current state of 'solo' or 'mute'. So of course I was delighted about the added functionality in VoiceMeeter:
4- MIDI mapping: a MIDI output device can be defined to send feedback to the Input MIDI device (‘F’ button activate the feedback process for each control ‘FF’ for double feedback).
So I uninstalled my previous VM installation before installing version 3.0.1.6.

Cleared all Macro Buttons mappings that I set up so it doesn't intervene with the MIDI feedback.

Set up Mappings in VoiceMeeter like so:

It worked out of the box! For that session, at least.

The next day I was still able to control VM with my nanoKONTROL2 as expected, but lightning doesn't lit up anymore - no matter if I set 'F' or 'FF' in the MIDI mapping settings.

Is there a way to fix this?
VM Potato | Shure SM7B | dbx 286s | Yamaha AG06 | Korg nanoKONTROL2
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: nanoKONTROL2, MIDI mapping and feedback

Post by Vincent Burel »

on my nanoKontrol 2 controller i've never been able to switch on any buttons
even if using MIDI implementation given by Korg with a special MIDI application:
https://www.korg.com/us/support/downloa ... /159/2710/

Maybe this is pending on something or version or USB power or i don't know...
VRPX

Post by VRPX »

It worked just fine with Macro Buttons.

It's important that you set the Control Mode and LED Mode of your device accordingly.

For that you want to download the nanoKONTROL/KORG USB-MIDI Driver (for Windows 10).
- Keep the device connected. Restart. After the restart, specific nanoKontrol Drivers will be installed. Restart again.
- grab the nanoKONTROL2/KORG KONTROL Editor. Your device should be detected automatically.
- Select 'Communication' -> 'Receive Scene Data'.
- Then click on the top left square on the device.

Control Mode should be: CC
LED Mode should be: External

- Make sure to select 'Communication' -> 'Write Scene Data' so save these settings on the device.

Fun fact:
After installing said USB-MIDI Driver (for Windows 10) it seems that the buttons light up accordingly now. Also my device doesn't show up as nanoKONTROL2, but nanoKONTROL2 1 SLIDER/KNOB and nanoKONTROL2 1 CTRL in VoiceMeeter:

I will keep an eye out if this persists after a reboot.
VM Potato | Shure SM7B | dbx 286s | Yamaha AG06 | Korg nanoKONTROL2
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

maybe there is a conflict with MacroButton if using the same MIDI output device.
normally an output device can be used by a single application...

will check this Korg app soon.
Emerick_H

Post by Emerick_H »

Hello,
From my testings I can confirm that this "bug" only happens when macrokeys is using the same output device.
Appart from that, for me everything was working great with the default nanoKontrol2 mapping, I didn't have to use Korg Kontrol Editor.
I exported the default config and attached it to my post if you want to reset to default settings.
Attachments
Default-nanoKontrol2.zip
Default NanoKontrol2 layout
(348 Bytes) Downloaded 441 times
Gauluze

Post by Gauluze »

I had the same problem that MacroButtons could not use the same MIDI interface and I have MacroButtons and VoiceMeeter working at the same time with the Mapping on the FF button.
01 Macro ButtonsExp.jpg
01 Macro ButtonsExp.jpg (98.45 KiB) Viewed 7249 times
Solution remove the output from M.I.D.I. MacroButtons and mutes and I only have them with the code indicated in the MacroButtons documentation for example:

Strip (2) .mute = 0;
System.SendMidi ("out1", "ctrl-change", 1, 50, 0);
02 Edit MuteEzp.jpg
02 Edit MuteEzp.jpg (92.89 KiB) Viewed 7249 times
Then I have the button that does the action with a link to the example button:

Button (60) .State = 1;

And with M.I.D.I. Read the button and with this configuration I get both things to work, I have in the outputs that pressing one output activates that one and all the others are muted, to see if this can help someone.
03 Edit Mute GroupExp.jpg
03 Edit Mute GroupExp.jpg (91.49 KiB) Viewed 7249 times