Voicemeeter crashing repeatedly on Win 10

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
beirtipol

Voicemeeter crashing repeatedly on Win 10

Post by beirtipol »

Setup:
- Potato 3.0.1.4.
- BT Headset (WDM)) as A1
- 2 other speakers (WDM) as A2/A3 (generally not used)
- Win 10 Pro

Symptoms:
The potato app and Audio device crashes a few times a day. As I'm generally walking around with my bluetooth headset on (paired to my phone and PC), it disconnects when I get too far from my PC and sometimes (not always) VB-Audio has crashed when I get back and I need to force kill and restart it. This happens with different bluetooth headsets

I've found the below in the event viewer but I can't find any other logging that might indicate a cause. This has been happening since I set up VM a few months back.

Any thoughts?

EventViewer Logs:
The program voicemeeter8.exe version 3.0.1.4 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 311c
Start Time: 01d713f70aba5a44
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\VB\Voicemeeter\voicemeeter8.exe
Report Id: d961941e-5cf8-4e24-867d-12b21ef639aa
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Top level window is idle

I also see the following for Macro Deck:

Faulting application name: Macro Deck Server.exe, version: 1.3.0.23, time stamp: 0x5cb0c848

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.804, time stamp: 0xb610d74d
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0012a8b2
Faulting process id: 0x398c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d713f706b80408
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Macro Deck\Macro Deck Server.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 244b7254-429d-4bfe-811b-ff217d8887da
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Application: Macro Deck Server.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(System.String, System.String, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(System.String, Boolean)
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(System.String)
at Macro_Deck_Server.ThemeManager.Initialize()
at Macro_Deck_Server.ThemeManager..ctor()
at Macro_Deck_Server.Main..cctor()

Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException
at Macro_Deck_Server.CrashReport..ctor(System.String)
at Macro_Deck_Server.Program.CurrentDomainOnUnhandledException(System.Object, System.UnhandledExceptionEventArgs)
xcasxcursex

Re: Voicemeeter crashing repeatedly on Win 10

Post by xcasxcursex »

Try swapping the other devices (currently your A2/A3 device) as the A1 device, and leave the bluetooth device on A2/A3, and see how you fare.

VM uses your A1 device as its primary timing source, so if there is a problem with that device, then it can cause problems with VM. Accordingly, a bluetooth device (especially one where you are certain to lose connection) may not be the best choice for use as the A1 device.
beirtipol

Post by beirtipol »

I've been keeping a close eye on this today and the bluetooth headset has remained connected the whole time. It appears to be the actual Potato 'UI' which is crashing. The UI had frozen but I was still able to control the volume.

I can't remember why I set up the bluetooth on A1 as previously I was using A3. I think it was due to 'lag' or something. I'll try switching back to A3 and see if that resolves this issue
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. A small suggestion: If possible try to update to version 3.0.1.8: https://download.vb-audio.com/Download_ ... _v3018.zip

Voicemeeter audio device disconnection detection could be useful to check if some of the output devices is disconnecting.
beirtipol

Post by beirtipol »

Ta, I'll update now.

FYI, changing the bluetooth headset to A3 didn't make a difference. The main UI was still frozen this morning. Will try the new version and come back with an update
beirtipol

Post by beirtipol »

The update seems to have fixed this issue. Though now I can't seem to disable the "always on top" of the contorl panel. I need to manually minimize it to interact with other apps. I'll raise a separate post if I can't figure it out