[Bug?] The icon in the system tray disappears after restarting Explorer. Win10

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
veron

[Bug?] The icon in the system tray disappears after restarting Explorer. Win10

Post by veron »

Hello.
I use VoiceMeeter Banana on Wndows 10 Pro 20H2 x64. I noticed that after after restarting Explorer.exe, the icon of the application from the system tray disappears and no longer appears. Can you fix this problem?
xcasxcursex

Re: [Bug?] The icon in the system tray disappears after restarting Explorer. Win10

Post by xcasxcursex »

I notice this with most apps which run minimised to the systray. I think this is a 'feature' of explorer, but really there should never be any need to restart explorer, and if you do need to restart it, it's usually time for a reboot, because restarting it breaks a lot of things, and probably something was broken for you to need to restart it in the first place. Windows assumes it will always be running.
veron

Re: [Bug?] The icon in the system tray disappears after restarting Explorer. Win10

Post by veron »

I do not think that the culprit in disappearance is only Explorer. In my system tray there is about 9-10+ icons and all of them are restored after rebooting explorer.exe, except for one VoiceMeeter Banana.
I understand that not every day explorer.exe is restarted, but when it happens, it becomes not very pleasant when you have to fully close the VoiceMeeter through the task manager and start it again because it does not know how to restore the icon.
Maybe try to look for the reason and try to fix this moment?
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

The culprit is not a fault in explorer, it's behaving as it should. Some apps will update the tray icon presence continually and by accidental side-effect the icon may persist after explorer does not, but that is not something that should be done by design.

Even if voicemeeter is changed, it might be possible to constantly update the tray icon so that it will re-appear when the systray re-appears, and it might be possible to do so with minimal performance impact, but understand this: it won't be helping with your problem, it will be hiding a need for you to make your PC run such that explorer never stops.

I think you're not quite understanding. This isn't a problem with voicemeeter which should be addressed in voicemeeter, or even a problem with explorer. This is a problem with your PC which should be addressed. Explorer should always be running and never crash or be killed. If this is not the case, you need to fix your PC. Explorer being stopped, is not something that should happen "not every day", it is something which should happen NEVER.

You have found your reason, but as for why you need to force explorer to stop or start, that's a fix for you to discover.
veron

Post by veron »

Different circumstances. Some use the windows task scheduler for specific events where need to restart explorer.exe. In any case, I consider the disappearance of the icon from the system trey to be not normal and should not be so.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

we note this, but we have never the case,
to reproduce the problem (and then be able to fix it) could you precise a step by step to restart explorer.exe ?
veron

Post by veron »

Vincent Burel wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:31 pm we note this, but we have never the case,
to reproduce the problem (and then be able to fix it) could you precise a step by step to restart explorer.exe ?
To reproduce the problem, it is enough to kill the Explorer.exe process from the task manager and run it again.