Splitting ASIO channels

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
RuudH

Splitting ASIO channels

Post by RuudH »

Hello,

I am trying out Voicemeeter banana and it feels like an excelent product!

I was wondering if it is possible to split the ASIO channels of, for example, Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO so that channel 1 and 2 go to voicemeeter VAIO and 3,4 go to voicemeeter AUX.
The reason I am asking is because i am using Traktor and in Traktor it is not possible to select multiple (virtual) audio cards. So if i select Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO i can select two channels for the Main output and two for monitoring.
The problem is that this is not usable because in voicemeeter both main and monitor are incomming on voicemeeter VAIO.

I created a workaround using ASIO4ALL where i select both Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO and Voicemeeter AUX Virtual ASIO as input. In Traktor I select the ASIO4All device and select for main, two channels of Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO and for monitor two channels of Voicemeeter AUX Virtual ASIO. I now get my Main on voicemeeter VAIO and my monitor on voicemeeter AUX.
This workaround however does not seem to work very well. Every now and then ASIO4ALL is showing a red exclamation mark and the audio gets distorted.

Now my question is. Is there a way to remove ASIO4ALL. So i will be able to connect Traktor to on of the ASIO devices of voicemeeter but have them on seperate inputs in voicemeeter.

Any help or hints are appreciated!
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Splitting ASIO channels

Post by Vincent Burel »

Voicemeeter virtual ASIO Driver (upto 8 channels) are attached to Virtual Input Strips.
so the 4 channels of Traktor are coming on the same strip.

i guess you would like to route channel 1,2 to a BUS and channel 3,4 to another BUS in Voicemeeter ?
if yes, this is possible by using the COMPOSITE Mode for the second BUS. you need to define the COMPOSITE Patch (Voicemeeter Banana only) in system settings dialog box (in your case , you would like to have the channel 3 of the virtual input strip as channel 1 and the channel 4 as channel 2).

Then you set the BUS in Composite mode to output the wanted channel 3,4.

Hope it helps.
RuudH

Post by RuudH »

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I don't think the solution will work. But this is probably more due to the lack of knowledge on my side and not painting a clear enough picture of my setup. So let me first start explaining my setup. I included a picture of how the connections are running at the moment. And i will try to explain the connections.

I have two microphones connected to a mixer. These are for my and a co-host. The mixer has an USB connection on which audio goes out and also has an input. In Voicemeeter i selected the ASIO driver of the mixer for A1. This also sets strip1 to the 2(1 and 2) input channels of the mixer. The audio output on A1 gets send to the Mixer where it is send to the headsets. I make sure that this sound is not routed back to the mixers output. So there are no loops. For music i use Traktor. Traktor can only select one audio device. This means that audio device needs to have 4 output channels. (2 for main and 2 for monitoring). I use software called Butt to stream the mixer input (strip1) and Traktors Main output to a shoutcast server. Butt is picking op the audio from Voicemeeter AUX output.

At the moment i am using ASIO4ALL to group the inputs of both voicemeeter's virtual input strips into one virtual device. This makes it possible in Traktor to select that combined virtual device and select the first two channels of the voicemeeter VAIO input for Main and the first two channels of voicemeeter AUX input for monitoring.

The ideal situation would be to have Traktor come in on Voicemeeter VAIO with Main. And on Voicemeeter AUX with the monitor. That way it would be very easy to switch between sending the main or the monitor audio to the mixer/headsets by selecting A1 on the virtual strips.

The problem is that sometimes ASIO4ALL gives a red exclamation mark and the audio gets distorted.

If i understand your suggestion correctly. that would mean i would need to keep the system window open to switch the Patch composite every time i want to switch between main and monitoring output of Traktor. and run A1 in composite mode.

I hope I gave a better idea of what i am trying to accomplish. The question is. Is it possible to remove ASIO4ALL and still have an easy way to switch Tracktor outputs to A1(mixer) ?
Attachments
setupVoicemeeter.jpg
setupVoicemeeter.jpg (232.37 KiB) Viewed 25068 times
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

ha ok, no, in this case you cannot split channel on the 2 virtual inputs of Voicemeeter.
today the only way to do that would be possible if Traktor was able to send main stream to a given device (Voicemeeter VAIO) and monitor on another audio device (Voicemeeter AUX VAIO).

ASIO4ALL should work ok to make the workaround... try to set buffer size in ASIO4ALL as the output A1 maybe this can help to keep a stable audio stream... let me know...
RuudH

Post by RuudH »

Hi Vincent,

I tried setting the buffer size in ASIO4all the same as the A1 in Voicemeeter. That resulted in a lot of distortion. The behringer output device has a buffer of 256 the standard ASIO4all buffer is 512. I would like to set the Behringer output buffer to 512 but this does not seem possible in voicemeeter. As there is no configuration program for the Behringer ASIO driver it seems i am stuck at 256.

Anyway i reinstalled the Behringer driver, killed of some services. and now i only get a little hickup in the audio once in a while. And i can live with that. The machine needs a fresh windows install anyway.
Anyway thank you for your help!

If i could add something to the wishlist. It would be cool if it would be possible to assign separate asio channels to the virtual inputs. I know this is probably a feature used by only a few people so i understand if this wil have no priority ever :)
RuudH

Post by RuudH »

Hi Vincent,

It has been a while. I am picking picking up broadcasting again and i saw that there are some new features with assigning asio channels to other input strips. Now i am having a little trouble wrapping my head around this patching, and maybe it does not support at all what i intend to do.

I am using DJ software (Mixxx at the moment). i want to route the output to voicemeeter. Now the problem is that i can only select one asio device for main output and monitoring. So if i select Voicemeeter virtual asio I can select channel 1 and 2 for main and 3 and 4 for monitoring. But this will result in both main and monitoring comming into voicemeeter on the first virtual strip.
Would it be possible to "patch" channel 1 and 2 to one strip and channel 3 and 4 to another?

Thanks for your help!!
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

hello,

With last VOICEMEETER, there is ASIO Routing capabilities for BUS A2 & A3 that can also be routed to output channels of the ASIO device selected for output A1. More information in user manual page 18: http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Vo ... anual.pdf
voicemeeterBananaASIORouting.jpg
voicemeeterBananaASIORouting.jpg (156.96 KiB) Viewed 23066 times