5.1 Issues w/ HDMI

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
metalmilitia623

5.1 Issues w/ HDMI

Post by metalmilitia623 »

I'll start by saying I have a bizarre setup but it's always worked for me. I have a set of 2.1 speakers that I mainly listen to music on, and a set of 5.1 speakers that I mainly play games and watch tv/movies on.

The problem I'm having is because the 5.1 are picked up by windows through nvidia's HDMI driver it only allows me to set it to 2 channels. This was not an issue until recently when Voicemeeter stopped sending audio to any channels other than the 2 windows sees. The only way I can send the audio to all channels is if I use foobar and tell voicemeeter to stereo repeat, then sound comes out of all 5 speakers. However if I listen to an audio source that sends sound through each channel on it's own no sound comes from the center or rear speakers.

I know it is possible because I had it working at one point in time, I just don't know what I changed that made it stop and now for the life of me I can't make it work again. It seems to me though that it should work fine. If with stereo repeat on all 5 channels get audio then why would they not get audio from an actual 5.1 source on normal mode?

The only thing I can think of that may have changed was I started to use the headphone jack on the 2.1 speakers to play some games but I just don't see how that would be a problem because voicemeeter still just sees them as the same speakers as always.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: 5.1 Issues w/ HDMI

Post by Vincent Burel »

There is several possible reason;
Incoming signal on virtual input is 5.1 ?
The related BUS is in Normal mode (not mix down) ?
The output device is opened in 6 or 8 channels ?

you might post screenshot of your voicemeeter graphic user interface and its system settings dialog box to let me see what's happening there...
metalmilitia623

Speakers are my 2.1 setup and XVT423SV-4 is the 5.1. It isn't the best receiver as it's just some crappy xbox 360 pioneer system but it worked and then i messed it up and idk how.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

ok, i see you 5.1 signal incoming on virtual input #1 ... going to BUS A2... and output A2 is connected to WDM: XVT423SV-4 driver...

you can see in the system settings dialog box that this device is opened in 44100 Hz, 512 sample buffer but 2 channels only (while your VIA Speakers are opened in 6 channels).

SO:
- First check that this playback device can be configure in more than stereo (in Windows Control Panel / Sound Dialog box).
- If the WDM still does not work, try MME device instead...

Let me know...
metalmilitia623

The HDMI device cannot be configured to anything but those two channels which I think has to do with HDMI and how it works. The part that confuses me is why does stereo repeat send to all 5 speakers but a 5.1 source (a movie) does not send to all of the speakers. Both are sending audio through voicemeeter to 5 channels so it makes no sense to me why only one would work.

MME made no difference. I wish I would have saved my settings when I did have it working properly. I don't know if maybe something I did in the windows settings messed it up.

EDIT: So it seems like it depends on the source of the audio. 5.1 vidoes from MPC-HC seem to cause issue, however some videos I am watching online that seem to be outputting in a stereo repeat fashion even on normal mode are sending audio to all 5 speakers.

EDIT #2: Well, now I got CSGO to work properly sending the 5.1 audio to all the speakers so maybe now I just need to figure out how to make MPC-HC work properly
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

if the stereo repeat works to send audio to 5.1, then it means your device works in 5.1.... so the problem is on the source then.

BTW: i see you have activated some PATCH INSERT on virtual input #1 . do you have connected an ASIO application on the Voicemeeter Virtual !Insert ASIO Driver? if yes, check what you are doing there, because it can disturb the routing and mute some channel if not well used in this application.
metalmilitia623

Vincent Burel wrote:if the stereo repeat works to send audio to 5.1, then it means your device works in 5.1.... so the problem is on the source then.

BTW: i see you have activated some PATCH INSERT on virtual input #1 . do you have connected an ASIO application on the Voicemeeter Virtual !Insert ASIO Driver? if yes, check what you are doing there, because it can disturb the routing and mute some channel if not well used in this application.
Alright, thanks for the help. I do not have an ASIO application, I was just clicking things somewhat randomly to see if it made any difference. I'll turn that stuff off then since I don't need it.

Thanks again for making this awesome software and also supporting it well.

This is what really confuses me though with this not working correctly.
Voicemeeter appears to see the audio on all the proper channels, but that audio doesn't make it to my device properly. Whereas on games that send that same 5.1 audio to voicemeeter manage to get it out to all the speakers. I appear to have everything setup in MPC or VLC correctly but it just doesn't work. It really seems to me to be an issue on that side and not with voicemeeter but idk.
richardu

Post by richardu »

Did you ever get this to work properly? I'm facing a similar issue.

Thanks,
Richard
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

please post screenshot of your Voicemeeter and its system settings dialog box.
(while playing 5.1 sound)
metalmilitia623

I forgot about this but also remember to check your windows settings. I'm pretty sure my issue is not with voicemeeter and is with MPC-HC despite telling it to play 5.1 and using video files that claim to have 5.1 it only plays in 2 channels.

My issue used to be that all audio would play except the center channel with the dialog but on win10 I seem to only get two channels out of MPC. Voicemeeter is working well on 5.1 for video games.