Live interviews with Skype and Mixxx via Banana

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
RaVlaNa

Live interviews with Skype and Mixxx via Banana

Post by RaVlaNa »

Hello,
I use the Radio Broadcasting software Mixxx to do live radio shows, and I would like to get people to talk to me live on air (that means, the internet, of course, as I run an Internet station).

I have been trying all combinations in Banana 2.0.2.6 to make that work, but the best I can achieve is that I can hear myself on the broadcast, but not the caller (I use the Skype Test/Echo to try it out and the lady does not come on the broadcast).

The possibilities I have in Mixxx are as follows (the ones I have selected are in blue and on top):
Drivers:
Output:
Input:

Banana is set up as follows:
HARDWARE INPUT 1: Mic Realtek A1 B1
HARDWARE INPUT 2: CABLE Output (VB-Audio virtual Cable) A1 B1
HARDWARE OUT A1: Speakers (Realtek High definition Audio).

In Sound Control Panel, Playback Devices, Voicemeeter Input (VB-Audio Voicemeeter VAIO) is set as Default device.

Finally, in Skype, Microphone (Realtek High definition Audio) is set as my Mic and Voicemeeter Input (VB-Audio Voicemeeter VAIO) is set as my speaker device.

I can hear everything fine when listening on Skype on its own, but as soon as I go live through Mixxx, I still hear the caller's voice, but it does not come on air.
I use Windows 10 64-bit.

I hope there is enough information to show you what I am doing wrong.

Any help will be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Live interviews with Skype and Mixxx via Banana

Post by Vincent Burel »

Well, i guess you can do that without any problem, as far as you connect everything to Voicemeeter.

As far as I understand your Mixxx input is connected to the realtek microphone (which is already connected to Voicemeeter Input #1).
Mixxx should be connected to a Voicemeeter virtual output instead (represented by BUS B1 or B2).

if not already done, you should make the same for Skype and get signal from Voicemeeter Virtual output (different from MIXXX).
then you can take advantage of the full mix minus feature and send any sources to any BUS thanks to A / B buttons...

LAST REMARK: check your communication option in Windows Control Panel / Sound Dialog Box (set to "Do nothing").
RaVlaNa

Post by RaVlaNa »

Thank you for your reply.

With regards to the last remark: The communication option is set to "Do nothing".

I have fiddled around a bit with the settings, I have set Cable output to default recording device (is that correct?) and then HARDWARE INPUT 1 in Voicemeeter (the mic) to B1.
In Mixxx I set the mic to Cable Output.

In Skype I set the mic to Mic realtek and speakers to Voicemeeter Input VAIO.

I could then hear both me and the skype caller on air, but very weak and with a lot of echo.

Seems like I am getting a bit closer, but not quite there yet.

Thanks anyway.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

could you post a screenshot of Voicemeeter with the list of what is coming in input and what app is connected to virtual output B1 & B2 (to get signal from Voicemeeter)?
RaVlaNa

Post by RaVlaNa »

OK, here it comes:
In HARDWARE INPUT 3, nothing is connected, and in in HARDWARE OUT A2 and A3 nothing is connected.

I know I have probably messed up completely, but some of the things in Voicemeeter look a bit complicated to me.

Thank you for your help so far.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

ok, configuration is basically good, but the BUS B1 / B2
if you want to be able to separate audio for 2 applications Skype + Mixxx .
you must connect Skype MIC to BUS B1 for example (voicemeeter virtual output )
and Mixxx microphone device must be the other one (voicemeeter AUX output ) to be managed by BUS B2

Then you can avoid to send Skype caller (incoming on input #2 through VBCABLE) to go again to Skype (B1 OFF) but to MIXXX B2 ON
The same for MIXXX sound, certainely coming on Virtual Input:
B1 = ON means i send audio to Skype.
B2 = ON means i send audio to MIXXX.

Hope it helps...
RaVlaNa

Post by RaVlaNa »

Vincent Burel wrote: then you can take advantage of the full mix minus feature and send any sources to any BUS thanks to A / B buttons...
Could you please clarify a bit further what the mix minus feature is?

Also, I still cannot get rid of the echo completely.
Although I have set the mic in Skype and in Mixxx both to something other than the Realtek mic, Realtek still seems to control all microphones, because i has to have B1 or B2 turned on.

Then again, Mixxx is also a bit of a fussy program letting you select the device you want, I have the impression sometimes.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

MIX Minus feature is the ability to send all audio source to a BUS , but the one that could produce a feedback loop.
typically , if the BUS B1 is feeding Skype Input, you will send your MIC and Music (Mixxx) but not Skype caller into B1
all this things are explained in the user manual case study #1

well, let me know what audio source is coming in input #2 and input #3 and Virtual Input
i will explain how you might configure your B1 & B2 button on these strips to avoid loopback.
RaVlaNa

Post by RaVlaNa »

Sorry to be so ignorant and stupid, Vincent, but what I don't understand is: in Mixxx my Microphone is set to the Voicemeeter AUX and in Skype to Voicemeeter Virtual.
However, I still Have to use The B1 and B2 in Hardware Input 1, which is set to Microphone Realtek High Definition.
If I click on B1 or B2 in any of the other Hardware Inputs, the mic does not give ANY signal at all.
It keeps being routed to the actual mic, not a virtual one.
It also still keeps causing echo, Even with no B1 or B2 set anywhere else in any other chanel or input or output, and no A1 or A2 set on the mic channel.

Or should I set a certain device to default in Recording devices? At the moment, the Realtek mic is set to default, but I have tried other devices, and as far as I remember, it did not make much difference.

Once again, sorry for all my stupid questions.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

as you said,
Mixxx input (mic) is set to Voicemeeter AUX = BUS B2
Skype input is set to Voicemeeter VAIO = BUS B1

what does it means ? that you have to switch ON B1 to send audio to Skype, and switch ON B2 to send audio to Mixxx (i hope this thing is clear).

Despite you did not reply to my previous question : "what audio source is coming in input #2 and input #3 and Virtual Input" ?
i repeat again the process:
you Microphone , connected on hardware input #1 must be sent to Skype & Mixxx ? so B1 and B2 must be switched ON

Skype caller (incoming on hardware input #2 maybe ?) must be sent to Mixxx (BUS B2 = ON) but not to Skype (BUS B1 = OFF) , this is what we call "Mix Minus feature".

do you get it ?