Small Banana and VBAN issue.

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
brickviking

Small Banana and VBAN issue.

Post by brickviking »

I decided to see just how far I could push VoiceMeeter-Banana. So far I'm pleasantly surprised, but for one problem I can't seem to figure out a working solution.

First, I'm using 32-bit Vista. It has 4Gb memory, on a Q8400 quad-core Core/2.

Here, I have a Plantronics Gamecom headset I want everything to come to. That works fine. I've also set the default Windows output to be the Virtual input of Banana. When I start a game (Spiral Knights), sound comes out my headphones just fine.

Inputs I have are:
  • A1: LineIn (usually muted),
  • A2: Plantronics' microphone (usually muted),
  • A3: Unassigned (muted),
  • Virtual: Game and computer sound (usually active),
  • Virtual AUX: Auxiliary sound (web music, whatever else) (usually muted).
Outputs I normally have are:
  • A1: Headphones (WDM).
  • A2/3: unassigned.
  • B1: outputs for Skype/Mumble/other VOIP clients.
  • B2: Network audio.
Now, the issue I have is: if I also want to have music or a radio stream via a web browser on AUX, it's easy to push it to another computer's listening vban-receptor via B2. However, I can't reduce the volume locally, while still leaving the networked volume unaffected. In essence, when pushing out VBAN, I want 0db output level at the destination computer, but locally, I want (say -8db) to come to my headphones.

If I reduce the input volume for the music, that obviously reduces the volume for both the network stream and local. If I reduce the output volume on Bus A1 (headphones), then that reduces everything, not just the music. I did try setting up an A2 with a reduced volume also pointing to the headphones using a different output method (KS), but that setting gets ignored, even when I point the music directly at A2. In addition, my Settings and Options window shows this message:

Code: Select all

OUT A2: Failed to Open Output Device: KSWA_KS_Start:ksCreatePin returns error 1 (0x1).
Overall Engine Mode is in Normal. So, what do you suggest for letting me hear music in the background of my game, while still streaming music at full volume to another computer?

(Post 3)

Regards, BrickViking (DrSmokey)
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Small Banana and VBAN issue.

Post by Vincent Burel »

brickviking wrote:Now, the issue I have is: if I also want to have music or a radio stream via a web browser on AUX, it's easy to push it to another computer's listening vban-receptor via B2. However, I can't reduce the volume locally, while still leaving the networked volume unaffected. In essence, when pushing out VBAN, I want 0db output level at the destination computer, but locally, I want (say -8db) to come to my headphones.
yes, the Voicemeeter mixer manages a single layer, consequently a strip gain is given for every BUS.
HOWEVER there is a workaround to send a PRE-FADER strip directly to a BUS, by using the COMPOSITE MODE (then this BUS could be used for your VBAN stream).

Go in system settings to make the PATCH COMPOSITE (Pre-Fader) with the channels of your incoming music.
then place the BUS A3 for example in COMPOSITE MODE : Then BUS A3 will contain music independtly from the strip fader gain.
(VBAN will have to send BUS A3 instead of B2).
brickviking

Post by brickviking »

Yes, that worked, though I had to get my head around what you'd actually said. Once I understood it, things work quite well. I just put B2 into Composite mode instead of Normal, and use the input fader to set my local volume. Is there a reason why you chose A3 (a physical output) instead of B1/B2 (a virtual output)?

(Post 5)

Regards, BrickViking (DrSmokey)
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

brickviking wrote:Is there a reason why you chose A3 (a physical output) instead of B1/B2 (a virtual output)?
A3 is statically less used... while B1 and B2 are used to feed different application (typically a VOIP + Broadcast software).
using A3 (if unused) will not disturb the main workflow...