My Voicemeeter Banana version is 220.127.116.11.
I changed my settings to:
- Hardware Input 1 - MME: Headset Microphone (Corsair VOID RGB Wireless Gaming Headset)
- A1 - MME: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
- A2 - MME: Headset Earphone (Corsair VOID RGB Wireless Gaming Headset)
- A3 - Unassigned
with Voicemeeter VAIO outputting to A1, A2, A3
I started playing a YouTube video (as a source of audio). I could see the bars jumping in Voicemeeter, indicating that the computer's audio was being properly routed through Voicemeeter Banana.
I unplugged the USB dongle for the headset.
The YouTube video went silent for both the headset (expected) and the speakers (unexpected).
Voicemeeter's bars froze at the height that they were just before unplugging the headset. The application itself was not completely frozen at this point.
I followed your instruction to restart the audio engine.
Hovering my mouse over the Voicemeeter Banana window changes my cursor to indicate that the application is busy. After 5 minutes with no change, I clicked the window (location on the window does not matter).
The Voicemeeter Banana window grayed out, and a system window popped up: 'VB-AUDIO Virtual Audio Device Mixing Console Application is not responding" with options "Close the program" and "Wait for the program to respond".
Closing the application and restarting it restores my A1 (speaker) audio.
Plugging in my USB headset again, I have A1 (speaker) audio but no A2 (USB headset) audio.
At this point, restarting the audio engine restores audio to A2 (USB headset) and Hardware Input 1 (USB headset microphone)
From this, it seems that Voicemeeter Banana is handling the plugging-in of hardware gracefully (although automatic detection would be better than manually restarting the audio engine) but has trouble when a piece of hardware is unplugged, effectively ceasing to exist on the system.