Feature request : sample rate > 96kHz?

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
BigBen

Feature request : sample rate > 96kHz?

Post by BigBen »

Hello Vincent,

first, many thanks for this fantastic application, it does exactly what I need and does it very well!

One question though : would it be possible for future versions to handle sample rates higher than 96k such as 176, 192 or even 384?

Here is the reason why : I use VM to mix inputs (another PC, a Freebox) into a DAC. But I also sometimes close it and play music at rates higher than 96k and must then manually change the rate on the DAC. If VM would handle 384k, I would not need to change the DAC rate, or could even play music into VAIO and permanently keep VM up.

Thanks again,
Ben
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Feature request : sample rate > 96kHz?

Post by Vincent Burel »

thanks for your message,
i note your request to be able manage samplerate above 96 kHZ as mainstream samplerate...
BTW : you can already manage 192 kHZ output device by connecting it on BUS A2 or A3
(but it is an up-scaling, since mainstream cannot go over 96 kHz)
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately my output is an ASIO driver, so I cannot use it on A2 or A3.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

ok, right!
maybe there is a workaround by connecting A2 to HI-FI cable (configured in 192 kHz) and ASIO Bridge...
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

Hmmm, interesting. I just tried that out of curiosity, and it doesn't work well : even with everything at 96, I get very noisy, choppy sound.

Also, ASIO Bridge page says "HI-FI Cable is bit perfect and supports up to 24 bits 384 kHz audio stream." but I don't see how to get above 192?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

"very noisy" means you have a problem somwhere, you can post a screenshot of ASIO bridge if you want to let me take a look.

Above 192 kHz, you have to use an application (connected to HIFI Cable Playbac device) able to ask for 384 kHz, because Windows option does not propose it as far as i know.
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

This is what it looks like :
ASIOBridge.jpg
ASIOBridge.jpg (177.97 KiB) Viewed 18281 times
(latency on ASIO Bridge is set at 8192 smp)

There might another problem for me though, even if the sound was perfect : I'm normally using "stereo repeat", and use 4 outputs out of my 8 channel DAC to bi-amp my (2) speakers. I don't see how it is possible to get 4 channels on the output of ASIO bridge, so my guess is 2 (repeated) channels are lost on the way.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

HIFI Cable input can manage 8 channels (here i see that you already get 4 channels) on ASIO BRIDGE Input side (see levels).
and ASIO BRIDGE can also manage 8 first outputs of your ASIO driver (check the configuration/routing of your ASIO device).

REM: you can set the HIFI Cable driver in 192 kHz (in Windows Control Panel / Sound Dialog Box -> advanced button).

according your current parameter it should work ok. it's not?
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

Vincent Burel wrote:HIFI Cable input can manage 8 channels (here i see that you already get 4 channels) on ASIO BRIDGE Input side (see levels).
and ASIO BRIDGE can also manage 8 first outputs of your ASIO driver (check the configuration/routing of your ASIO device).
Just to make sure I understand how configuration works : For the ASIO Bridge Input, I went to Windows Control Panel / Sound Dialog box and chose a 4 channel configuration (4 should be enough, and with more, it seems that Windows might filter the sound on some channels based on the bandwidth of the speakers and I don't want that).

But that configuration dialog is not available for the ASIO bridge Output, it looks like Windows assumes it's a 2 channel microphone maybe. So I don't see where to get 4 channels on the ASIO Bridge output. My DAC ASIO driver is configured with 8 channels, but ASIO Bridge doesn't seem to care about that.
Vincent Burel wrote:according your current parameter it should work ok. it's not?
no, it sounds like sound is cut 6 times per second (what I meant by saying "choppy"), but no problem at all if I use the Ravenna dirver as VM Output directly.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

BigBen wrote: Just to make sure I understand how configuration works : For the ASIO Bridge Input, I went to Windows Control Panel / Sound Dialog box and chose a 4 channel configuration

for the HIFI Cable input device (playback) you mean - ASIO Bridge is the application placed on the midlle of the HIFI Cable to make a bridge with ASIO device.
BigBen wrote: (4 should be enough, and with more, it seems that Windows might filter the sound on some channels based on the bandwidth of the speakers and I don't want that).

no, there is normally no filtering, and if Voicemeeter A2 is connected to WDM or KS interface of the HIFI Cable, then the link is direct (not passing though Windows Mixer).
BigBen wrote:But that configuration dialog is not available for the ASIO bridge Output, it looks like Windows assumes it's a 2 channel microphone maybe.

again you talk about HIFI Cable output (recording) limited to 2 channel right !
BigBen wrote:So I don't see where to get 4 channels on the ASIO Bridge output. My DAC ASIO driver is configured with 8 channels, but ASIO Bridge doesn't seem to care about that.

no, ASIO bridge is managing your ASIO 8 channels (it's displayed on your screenshot : in:8 out:8). and ASIO Bridge forward the 8 input channels to HIFI Cable output ... but Windows Will limit it to 2 channels at the end (note it works on Windows XP with 8 channels, this limitation comes with VISTA).
BigBen wrote:no, it sounds like sound is cut 6 times per second (what I meant by saying "choppy"), but no problem at all if I use the Ravenna dirver as VM Output directly.
ha, very strange! could try to check that your ravenna driver is no used by another app and see if you can change your ASIO buffer size to 512 instead of 1024 ?