Voicemeeter made itself the default device permanently. Help

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Theranin

Voicemeeter made itself the default device permanently. Help

Post by Theranin »

Every time I start voicemeeter, all output sound defaults to it. Even if I set another device as the default, all sound just goes to voicemeeter. How do I not get it to do this? I only want like 2 apps to actually play sound to it.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Voicemeeter made itself the default device permanently. Help

Post by Vincent Burel »

if Voicemeeter virtual audio device is set as default playback device, then all application will send audio to Voicemeeter Virtual input per default... except those configured to playback audio in another audio device.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Output device used by Voicemeeter (especially A1) might be used in exclusive mode if selecting WDM / KS device . it means no other application will be able to use this audio device to playback sound... that's why it's recommended to set Voicemeeter as default audio device (Voicemeeter is intended to become your main virtual audio board to let you manage audio in rational way on your computer).

If you want only 2x Applications to send audio to Voicemeeter virtual input, you will have to configure them to play audio in Voicemeeter playback device (instead of default audio device). Then you could set another audio device as default playback device for other applications... but not the one used by Voicemeeter output A1... (except if using MME devices here - used in share mode -).

it's basically simple, but made complicated by the fact you need to avoid audio device conflict, and that all applications might not provide audio option to select specific device...
Theranin

Post by Theranin »

Vincent Burel wrote:if Voicemeeter virtual audio device is set as default playback device, then all application will send audio to Voicemeeter Virtual input per default... except those configured to playback audio in another audio device.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Output device used by Voicemeeter (especially A1) might be used in exclusive mode if selecting WDM / KS device . it means no other application will be able to use this audio device to playback sound... that's why it's recommended to set Voicemeeter as default audio device (Voicemeeter is intended to become your main virtual audio board to let you manage audio in rational way on your computer).

If you want only 2x Applications to send audio to Voicemeeter virtual input, you will have to configure them to play audio in Voicemeeter playback device (instead of default audio device). Then you could set another audio device as default playback device for other applications... but not the one used by Voicemeeter output A1... (except if using MME devices here - used in share mode -).

it's basically simple, but made complicated by the fact you need to avoid audio device conflict, and that all applications might not provide audio option to select specific device...
Thanks, I didn't know that WDM made it exclusive. I am a gaming live streamer and my overall goal with voicemeeter is to be able to put all of my audio sources into different tracks in OBS (the streaming software I use). I currently have, The game sound, my mic, Discord (voice chat software), and a music input. So I have 4 audio sources that I need to split into 4 different tracks. This way I can make sure the volume is balanced the way I need it to be.

What I am attempting to do is put Discord and my music into voicemeeter and then run them as two different outputs (B1 & B2). This way my remaining desktop audio track should only have the sound of the game. Do you know of a better way to accomplish this? If I run discord, music, and game audio though VM then there are only two outputs, so something would need to double up.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

As far as I see, OBS users are often using Voicemeeter as monitoring Mixer.
OBS can get audio from a single virtual output of Voicemeeter (B1 or B2) for general mix... but other tracks are generally coming from input devices themself (it works since Voicemeeter opens input devices always in share mode per default).

We do not recommend this method because these different inputs are not synchronized and could suffer significant time drift (especially on long duration podcast), even if it basically work most of the time... and you will find many tutorials on youtube.

To record multitracks and be sure about the synchronization in the time , OBS and other DXTory should consider proposing ASIO connection to get for example 8 channels from Voicemeeter Virtual BUS (in COMPOSITE MODE, these 8 channel can be selected in any Voicemeeter input channels).