Collate 6-8 audio outs from each of 3 DAWs on same PC?

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
HepCat

Collate 6-8 audio outs from each of 3 DAWs on same PC?

Post by HepCat »

I can demo your software but first l'd like to quickly run my question by you before l begin the steep learning curve!

Please can you tell me how to route 20 or more stereo (or even just mono) audio channels, from 3 or more DAWs (6 - 8 channels each), and collate them together, and redirect them to a multitrack DAW, all on the same PC, or even redirected to a spare old laptop? Can the iConnectAUDIO4+ achieve this? (the name of this product is impossible to type at first try?! :) )

MY USAGE CASE:
I would like to route approx. 8 stereo audio channels per DAW, from 3 "playing live" DAWs (DAWs being played live), into a multitrack 4th DAW, the multitrack DAW being "Reaper". One of the 3 DAWs may also be Reaper, being played live.

My problem is this: l don't understand ReaRoute. I don't understand virtual audio cables. I don't have time to understand these things (sorry, but it's true). I cannot use ReWire, because I cannot ReWire a live playing instance of Reaper into a ReWire host instance of Reaper. Also, ReWire makes the ReWire host interfere with all slave DAWs connected, it really does make them all into slaves, Instead l want 3 independent DAWs playing live, that multitrack record to the 4th DAW (Reaper).

The easiest solution seems to be buying a hardware multitrack recorder that acts as a soundcard too. However, to get 24 or even just 20 - 22, stereo audio channels will be very expensive (l'm aware that mono will do, but l may want to add some panned FX, you see). Also there are limitations e.g. if l'm recording in 24-bit, l can't add the hardware's DSP FX, and the hardware won't even give me 24 stereo channels, ever. I'll have to buy multiple hardware recorders.

So then l come full circle and just feel like settling for the standard ReWire set up, with compromises being made (have a separate soundcard for one of the DAWs which only gives me headphone + main out, instead of 6-8 individual channel outs). Total Cost: £0 (already have an extra soundcard).

Therefore l'm wondering: can the Voicemeeter Banana program fulfill my requirements? If so how? Hopefully it will be something simple, otherwise l may just have to save the blood sweat and tears and just go with a simple ReWire setup with compromises being made (see above). Running out of time, you see :)
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Collate 6-8 audio outs from each of 3 DAWs on same PC?

Post by Vincent Burel »

Basically you can connect your 4x DAW's to Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO driver (providing 8 channels for 4 client applications).
Note : Voicemeeter Banana is better to manage different routing.

As it is explained in the user manual page 19
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Vo ... Manual.pdf

Audio coming from DAW's will be mixed, channel by channel (up to 8) in the virtual input.
and all DAW will get signal from BUS B (or B1 or B2 if using Voicemeeter Banana).
voicemeeter_ASIOdiagrams.jpg
voicemeeter_ASIOdiagrams.jpg (190 KiB) Viewed 6433 times
The fact is that you may take care about feedback loop and switch OFF input monitoring on your DAW...
And with Voicemeeter Banana it's recommended to connect your DAW player on Voicemeeter ASIO (BUS B1) while your DAW recorder on Voicemeeter ASIO AUX (BUS B2)...
HepCat

Re: Collate 6-8 audio outs from each of 3 DAWs on same PC?

Post by HepCat »

OK thanks, will check it out pronto.

By the way, the .jpg diagram in your post does not display, but it doesn't matter, l will check the part of the manual that you recommended and use your last post as guidance notes.