Proposal: Create a "MonitorMeeter" app

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
mgutt

Proposal: Create a "MonitorMeeter" app

Post by mgutt »

I really like to see an additional application called "MonitorMeeter" or similar.

The needed features:
- multi audio on 2, 3 or maybe 4 monitors
- balance over multiple monitors e.g. in a triple monitor setup the left monitor takes the left channel, the middle one both and the right one the right channel
- manual delay correction
- auto delay removal through microphone
- volume level per monitor
- support of multimedia mute and volume up/down keys as usual

All other Voicemeeter features aren't needed, like the mixer layout, hardware inputs and so on. I think the only needed GUI features would be the buttons to select which monitor is in which position (for the balance functionality) and below of that the delay/volume correction options. Small and simple.

I think the market waits for such an app because in the past this was solved through the analog audio that was used parallel to the DVI cable. But today DVI is dying and HDMI / DisplayPort do not allow to connect monitors through analog Y-cables. And this was the only method in the past to solve this problem.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Proposal: Create a "MonitorMeeter" app

Post by Vincent Burel »

this is what you can do with Voicemeeter Banana and its 3 physical output (BUS A1, A2 A3) no ?
what is missing there ?
mgutt

Post by mgutt »

Reasons against Banana for this usecase:

1.) The GUI contains many features making it not user-friendly:
- Hardware inputs aren't needed
- B1 and B2 isn't needed
- Play/Record isn't needed
- MacroButtons isn't needed (if it would raise the master volume instead of the A1 volume)
- Only one virtual input is needed
- VBAN, Midi, Tape Recorder, etc. aren't needed

2.) As hooking A1 is not enough for a multi monitor setup it is needed to setup Macro-Buttons and this tool is not user-friendly, too. It took me 15 minutes to create this setup (reading manual, searching forum, etc.):
https://www.maxrev.de/files/2016/12/mac ... nput_1.zip

P.S. I'm a php programmer so I know variables and indexes.

3.) I'm not able to send the right channel to the left and right speaker of the right monitor (same applies for the left channel)

4.) A "MonitorMeeter" would not need any translation because it needs only icons and number inputs. Compared to that you need good a knowledge of the English being able to setup VM Banana.

Conclusion:
VoiceMeeter is for english-speaking professionals and "MonitorMeeter" would be something for noobs.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

ok, so you say that Voicemeeter Banana can technically do what you want , but you would like to have a simple/custom interface to do it ?

If yes, i invite you to design/draw this graphic user interface (just schematic) to show me and explain what could be this Monitor app (from user point of view).

Voicemeeter is fully remotable by a client application and it may ask for few days to make a custom GUI in this way... so let's design this VoicemeeterMonitor add on if you want...