Voicemeeter or Audio problem after WIN10/11 update (JUN 2023)

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Rexzone

Re: Voicemeeter or Audio problem after WIN10 update

Post by Rexzone »

this message is appearing to me every time and I do not see anything wrong, the windows is updated and reinstalled the audio drivers

Attachments
1122.jpg
1122.jpg (33.67 KiB) Viewed 284846 times
Hileksel

Post by Hileksel »

After the 20H2 update, something broke between Audition and Voicemeeter, using the Potato Insert. Full uninstall/reinstall of VM, VB Audio Cables, and Audition didn't fix it. For now, going to try and use audio cables to route, but I expect the additional delay, as well as the loss of some of my macros are gonna be really annoying, to put it lightly.

At the moment, I don't know where to get info to help debug, will try to check back here regularly.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

you may re-install it correctly,
follow recommendation given in 2 fisrt message of this topic:
https://forum.vb-audio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=688
Hileksel

Post by Hileksel »

Alright, the diagnostic tool didn't say any errors, but did a reinstall with removing all the old VB audio drivers in devmgmt. Still the same problem. Then I uninstalled all VB audio, unplugged all my audio devices, uninstalled and deleted all the audio drivers I could find in device manager and programs, DDU my GPU since it has audio drivers, went through the registry to remove VB audio entries where I at least kinda knew what I was doing, then reinstalled everything and that seemed to fix it.

If it happens again, I'll do each step individually to figure out what exactly fixed it and post it on the forum, but my patience had already run thin after the second reinstall.

Edit/PS: Thanks for making these programs. The utility of them are great, and I would never be able to afford software/hardware to replace their functionality
topia

Post by topia »

topia wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:50 am I followed that steps and ASIO configuration - but no luck.
FYI: Finally, my problem seems to disappear with AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.2 update. I could not imagine that it has effects for my situation (without USB audio, application-specific).

Thank you for your great software!
Tony EI7BMB

Post by Tony EI7BMB »

Latest windows 10 update seems to be ignoring timer requests from Voicemeeter potato and other software . Anyone else seeing this ?
Attachments
FireShot Capture 145 -  - .png
FireShot Capture 145 - - .png (7.26 KiB) Viewed 284315 times
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

Tony EI7BMB wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:40 pm Latest windows 10 update seems to be ignoring timer requests from Voicemeeter potato and other software . Anyone else seeing this ?
Are you sure the requests are ignored? Try this tool to see what timer resolution you're actually using: https://github.com/tebjan/TimerTool (download page linked in the top right)

It's normal for a timer request to be 'outstanding' - Imagine this scenario:

App 1 requests 1ms timer
App 2 requests 1ms timer
App 1 exits

What will occur is:

Step 1 will result in decreasing the timer period per App 1's request.
Step 2 will result in the timer not being altered as it is already in the desired state. The request is kept.
Step 3 will result in App 1's timer request being removed, thus allowing the timer to return to default state...
However, the request from App 2 is still outstanding, and now it takes effect.
Accordingly, no change is made to the timer.

Without this 'outstanding' request to change the timer config, step 3 would result in App 1's request being cleared, and the timer returning to normal, leaving App 2 with the wrong timer config.
Tony EI7BMB

Post by Tony EI7BMB »

Thanks for the explanation about "outstanding requests" most kind . I have reverted to Windows 1909 and now the request from the app is being processed as before . It seems this is a real issue for some though though https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2020/ ... le-change/
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

Huh interesting, I wasn't aware of the change. Anyway the change means that the scenario I described won't be an issue any more because apps timer requests don't impact each other...

And we can see that the requests from VM to modify the timer period are there, and with the tool I linked we can see that they are working (also, I can only assume VM wouldn't work if they weren't)...There is one issue effecting us here, which is that powercfg reports the current timer resolution as the maximum.... which actually makes some sense because each app will have its own timer interval now. But also makes no sense because it suggests the slower timer that isn't in use for many apps...

Another user noticed this and mentioned it in the comments

Anyway, fortunately because VM is well implemented and requests the 1ms timer anyway, the change doesn't effect VM, other than misleading powercfg reports, so we can safely stay on 2004+
Tony EI7BMB

Post by Tony EI7BMB »

Thanks again for your help and futher explanation. I was able to go back to Windows 10 20H2 with a modification to the registry to fix another program and Voicemeeter working fine . Phew :-)