Voicemeeter or Audio problem after WIN10/11 update (JUN 2023)

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
DOCa Cola

Re: Voicemeeter or Audio problem after WIN10 update

Post by DOCa Cola »

On Windows 10 1809 I can't set the VoiceMeeter Input and VoiceMeeter Aux Input devices to 48,000khz/24bit/5.1 audio configuration. It reverts to 44,100khz/24bit/2.0 audio all the time. Often these get reset after a minute or so.

I have made some tests in 3 virtual machines with a fresh install of Windows 10 and only VB Potato
Windows 10 1803: works fine
Windows 10 1809: resets settings to 44,100/24bit/2.0
Windows 10 insider 18309: resets settings to 48,000/24bit/2.0

I know it is likely to not be an issue on VoiceMeeters side. I have an HDMI output device that showed similar issues since the 1809 update where the configuration reset to a lower bit rate and stereo configuration. A work around that might help in this situation would be to be able to limit the available audio format settings the driver populates.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

well, another issue from Microsoft... you may notify it (i guess by Feedback HUB procedure).
On my side, I have sent an e-mail to Matthew van Eerde & Pete Brown to inform them about this new problem.
DOCa Cola

Post by DOCa Cola »

I did some more testing on that windows 1809 bug and figured something out that might help someone who is struggling with this issue.

The sound device settings get reset when you press 'cancel' in the channel configuration wizard (where you set your speaker layout). I did that each time in order to verify i had set the correct speaker configuration and therefore reset my configuration for that device. Windows 10 1803 didn't have this issue.

In Windows 10 1809 seems not to be possible to set VoiceMeeter Input and Aux Input both to 5.1/48000khz/24bit at the same time. You will get an error trying to play the test tone on both devices in that configuration. One device in 2 channel mode and the other in 5.1 mode works (48,000khz mode). When in 44,100khz mode, both devices can be used in 5.1 mode simultaneously. This issue does not exist when using VB under the older Windows 10 1803.

Windows 10 1809 also shows some channel and sampling rate options that some devices do not even have. I run an TV/Receiver on an HDMI port on a nvidia card. I have a little box (a HDFury Dr. HDMI) between the computer and the Receiver that runs a custom EDID profile. I have uploaded a custom profile so that the only audio capability reported for that receiver is 48000khz, 24bit and 5.1 audio capability to the PC. This was working fine on w10 1803. Now 1809 shows me also 16bit capability and channel configurations for stereo, quad speakers.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

It seems this "8000Hz" problem has been fixed as part of KB4476976 (OS Build 17763.292):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... Vh00m_QaJs

- Addresses an audio compatibility issue when playing newer games with 3D Spatial Audio mode enabled through multichannel audio devices or Windows Sonic for Headphones.
- Addresses an issue that may cause audio playback to stop responding when playing Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) audio content after using a Seek operation such as rewind.
- Addresses an issue with two-way audio that occurs during phone calls for some Bluetooth headsets.
BluGenes

Post by BluGenes »

New Win 10 problems.. Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 the WDM speakers quit working through Voicemeeter Banana. However, MME does work.

I just received this update a couple days ago. Did the the uninstall/reinstall dance with Voicemeeter checked that the default Windows setup was working, etc. Just happened to try the MME selection and that works.

My A1 is set to an Apollo Twin USB ASIO, and A2 is my desktop audio.
BluGenes

Post by BluGenes »

rather than edit the above message, the actual build is Win 10 build 1903 18362.295 which just recently came out..
BluGenes

Post by BluGenes »

I found the solution. edit this registry key and add the following..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Add a new multi-string value UpperFilters and set the value to ksthunk

This gets deleted on the update..

My source for this is Daniel Schmitt from nerds.de creators of LoopBe30

https://nerds.de/en/loopbe30.html

WDM devices work again..
gardhull

Post by gardhull »

The registry key was there for me.

My WDM speakers work, but I get lots of crackling/distortion.
MME works fine though. This happened right after I applied update 1903.

ANy ideas?
BluGenes

Post by BluGenes »

gardhull wrote:The registry key was there for me.

My WDM speakers work, but I get lots of crackling/distortion.
MME works fine though. This happened right after I applied update 1903.

ANy ideas?
The only three things I can think of, mis-matched bit rates, ASIO buffers to small, or bad interface driver. I had that issue when I had a Focusrite. I have a bottom end PC (I5 3.x GHZ) and it was barely able to keep up, but, when I switched to an Apollo interface, it all went away. The Apollo has it's own CPU, so, it takes a tremendous load off the PC.

For the bit rates, look up at the top of this forum for the quick start stuff. Just note the "sound control panel" has been moved to the settings page -> system - Sounds and on the right side of the page. You used to get to it by right clicking the speaker in the system tray.
xGamerG1rl

Post by xGamerG1rl »

Hey Guys,

my pc just updated to the latest Version of win 10 and I got a massive problem with the Voicemeeter Potato...
it sounds like really really bad Audio, but my System itself and my Headphones are fine....

Sounds like this: https://soundcloud.com/user-764086031/s ... n-10-updae
What exactly do you need to help me ?
Re-Installed Voicemeeter already twice... :/ No different..