Mixing issue with Chrome-based webinar

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
bkatzung

Mixing issue with Chrome-based webinar

Post by bkatzung »

I'm using VMB to mix my USB headset mic with system sounds (specifically, VLC Media Player) for webinars. The webinar software is Webinar JEO (WebRTC-based) running in a Chrome browser tab.

What's odd is that the sound drops out almost completely on the webinar unless I A) only have one input attached to the output bus at a time during the recording, or B) take my mic off the output bus before I start the browser tab recording and then add it back.

Does anybody have any ideas as to why I would need this work-around? The sound is fine on my headset speakers or VMB recording of the output bus; only Chrome has an issue.

Here's my configuration:
In 1: USB headset mic
In 4: Windows default playback
A1: On-board RealTek audio
A2: USB headset speakers
B1: Windows default recording (7K)

Everything is currently using MME (because of MDW issues), 44.1KHz, and 1K buffering (except as noted).
Brian Katzung
Kappa Computer Solutions, LLC / BusRes.com Business Resources
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Mixing issue with Chrome-based webinar

Post by Vincent Burel »

Generally speaking we recommend
- to keep default settings...
- to not use MME device for USB Microphone (your in1) because in case of USB disconnection you can get into a gui freeze (not responding).
- to use WDM or KS device as output A1 (ok for MME if it does not work, but usually WDM works with onboard realtek).

if only chrome have problem, it's maybe a question for chrome...

how chrome-audio is configured ? it get audio from default recording device (Voicemeeter output or Voicemeeter AUX) ? ANd playback in default playback device ? let us know what is your VAIO settings (Hz / smp) written on top of voicemeeter virtual I/O strip ?
bkatzung

Post by bkatzung »

I've reset my buffering to defaults (except virtual cables at 7K not 4K) and the headset and RealTek to WDM and it's still working (only) with the workaround.

Chrome is configured for default recording device (B1) and default playback (VAIO In 4).

In 1 and In 4 go to B1, In 4 also to A2.

TechSmith SnagIt fails audio initialization if I try to record a B1 mix. I haven't tried starting with In 1 disconnected initially, though.

I've also tried a configuration with default playback on AUX instead of VAIO, but it has the same issues.
Brian Katzung
bkatzung

Post by bkatzung »

Hmph. Now SnagIt has decided it's willing to record B1! Maybe my earlier problems were from settings changes from previous experimentation.

Audacity doesn't seem to be having any problem, so I guess it's just Chrome. Fortunately, the work-around, while an irritating extra step, seems to work consistently.
Brian Katzung