Live stream to Twitch - split audio

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
neilj99

Live stream to Twitch - split audio

Post by neilj99 »

Hi,

I have just recently started using Voicemeeter Banana for my Twitch live streams.

I would like someone to just confirm the configuration required for the following scenario.

I have available for the stream:
Voicemeeter Banana
VB-Cable + 2 (three in total)
OBS Studio
Stereo headset
AT2020USBi mic
Stream Talk
(Windows 10 Pro)

I want to be able to monitor Stream Talk without going to OBS - so just local TTS chat.
I want to be able to individually control the OBS output levels of my mic and system sound.
I want to be able to match my local monitor levels with the OBS output levels.

I don’t mind how detailed your reply is, so long as it’s step-by-step so I don’t miss anything.

Hope you guys can help.

Thanks,

Neil
GridMonkey

Re: Live stream to Twitch - split audio

Post by GridMonkey »

Hi,

I use OBS/VM and a few other things for Twitch.

I'm not familiar with Stream Talk, is it a chat reader that turns the text to speech, this is what i gather from your post. if you can include where i can find the program i can give you a better answer but, working on the assumption that it is a text to speech, your best hope is that it has an assignable audio output. If it does not, you will have difficulty separating the game sound and the TTS.

Some games will let you pick a sound device, not all. If the TTS does not let you pick it will be hit or miss here.

This assumes you can in fact choose the audio output device from Stream Talk, which you might be able to do using windows 10 audio configs.

Using OBS Studio, i personally disable all of the devices under Settings/Audio. I create Sources for everything.
Setting up Voicemeeter like the picture below means you need to add the following sources for OBS, and copy them into every scene you want them.

Audio input Capture. VoiceMeeter Output (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO) < this captures bus B1 This is set up for your Mic
Audio input Capture. VoiceMeeter Aux Output (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter AUX VAIO) < this captures bus B2 This is setup for your default audio/game sounds/alert sounds from streamlabs or the like.

You will need to set the output for Stream Talk to CABLE-A Input (VB-Audio Cable A) this can either be done in the program if it allows, or withing windows 10 "App Volume and Device Preferences"

You can adjust how loud the TTS is for you by using the 2nd channel in VM.

If you turn on A1 on the first channel, the mic channel, you will hear yourself along with the game, no audio software is without latency however and you might notice your voice is a bit delayed in your headphones, this may be off putting and a bit detrimental, and you might want to turn it off after testing.

There is no exact way to mirror how loud your monitoring will be compared to what goes to the stream. If everything in VM is at 0(unity) it will pretty close. OBS encodes in a way that it might be just a bit softer overall than what you are hearing, also depending on your headphones and your motherboard jack it will be different than anyone else. They will adjust relative to each other however, so as you lower one or the other, the difference between them will be pretty much the same as perceived by your stream.

Let me know if this helps, i am more than willing to give you any more help you might need.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (254.41 KiB) Viewed 12126 times
Computer nerd
Full time Theatrical Audio Engineer (ya know.. pre pandemic)
Sometimes streamer
3d Printer...uh..owner... I'm getting better.. honest..
neilj99

Post by neilj99 »

You nailed it. Thankyou.

My setup was different to yours previously so I changed to your layout.

I did note that my levels on VOD playback were lower than usual, so I need to run my Mic through Audition to EQ it.

I'm assuming I would just use another VB cable to route the audition output to Voicemeeter?

Also, can I lower my local system audio level without affecting OBS?

Neil
GridMonkey

Post by GridMonkey »

You're welcome,

You can use vst plugins inside of OBS/Gain settings in OBS if you wanted to adjust the levels without also adding Audition into the chain.

If you want to lower what you are hearing you just need to lower your output fader A1.
Because VM is before OBS in the chain as it currently stands, any adjustment on the input side will affect what OBS receives. If you wanted to change how the sounds get to OBS you can run the audio in parallel so the system audio is independent. You wouldn't be able to listen to the relative levels without using OBS' monitor function, which will add delay again.I can tell you how to set this up if you wish.
Computer nerd
Full time Theatrical Audio Engineer (ya know.. pre pandemic)
Sometimes streamer
3d Printer...uh..owner... I'm getting better.. honest..
neilj99

Post by neilj99 »

That might be an idea.

I ran background music on my stream today and it was full volume (ish) in my headset. I had trouble hearing the chat TTS.

As you mentioned, if I lowered the headset level as is, it would've lowered the mixed OBS output.

I'm running my at2020 through Audition as VB cable A. Then routing to VM.

Neil
neilj99

Post by neilj99 »

It's OK. I had a senior moment.

I found an inline level control on my headset, which works perfectly.

Neil