Feature request: Auto-restart on device (re-)connection

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
BOLL

Feature request: Auto-restart on device (re-)connection

Post by BOLL »

The auto-restart is for when the engine acts up, but I have a different use case for it as well.

When using a Vive VR headset with their wireless adapter, it tunnels USB and as such connects the headset and the audio part of it every time it's used.
As it is now I have to manually go in and restart the audio engine in VM for it to pick up the devices again.

What I ask for is an auto-restart of the audio engine that can trigger on when an audio device connect/reconnect. I've wanted this before, for the random occasions where I happen to disconnect a device and then reconnect it again, but now it has become a more regular occurrence.

That's it :) I'll keep using VoiceMeeter regardless as I have been doing for years by now, I just think it could be a useful feature, although not sure how hard it is to listen to device events like that in Windows.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Auto-restart on device (re-)connection

Post by Vincent Burel »

the auto restart audio engine is related to output A1 device only.

We think about applying this to all other connect devices, but we are still studying the possible bad impact on user having selected unplugged devices... maybe another Auto Restart Option could help... i note it again...
tobitege

Post by tobitege »

Hello,
I'm using interchangeably a Logitech and a Bluetooth wireless headset and I always have to manually
restart VM manually. Currently I'm using the Voicemeeter buttons app to have a hotkey for that, but
if VM could detect that a new audio device is coming "online", I'd _love_ to have the option
for an automatic restart of the engine as well.
Thanks for consideration!
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Didn't notice the replies, messed around with my notification settings now so hopefully I'll not miss future responses. We'll see :P

I had no idea the auto restart was only for A1, my memory tells me I did browse the manual, maybe I just missed it. In any case, I usually don't have the device that gets disconnected frequently at A1 as that should be the main device that decides output, or so my head tells me. So having an option for it reacting to all reconnects or some other device than A1 would indeed be really helpful, I think :) I'm repeating myself, but yeah... thanks for reading :lol:
DruiD

Post by DruiD »

So firstly, as my first post - just want to say how damn fine this software is and love Potato, fixed a lot of my requirements - so the locking up and requiring a restart as I outline below, sure it happens - but meh I can deal with that in reality now that I know thats what causing the lockups etc.

Therefore, I am just posting info below for the sake of further info in add of support of this future enhancement across multiple devices, or even better- safe detection of device unplug\plug (if even possible?).
I also have this lock up on disconnect\reconnect frequently as well, I have multiple devices - 2/3 of them I have to unplug when they need a clean reboot (of the device, not my PC).

Astro A50 USB mix amp - tends to lock up and drop sync with the headset, power cycle (remove usb) to fix.
Oculus RIFT - I dont leave this plugged into usb 24/7 - so yeah plugging \ unplugging.
Steinberg U22 and Focusrite USB 2i4 Interfaces - rarely unplug them . but still happens if I unplug them without shutting down VM first.
Even my analog front audio mic, separate channel via the onboard SupremeFX on my Asus Hero v8 board, also locks up VM potato at times.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Just wanted to update my situation regarding this feature request :P

I've retired my Vive and the wireless adapter and am now using a Valve Index. As I'm again on a cabled headset I thought I would be rid of having to restart the audio engine restart every time I want to use it, but alas, a different issue has surfaced.

The Index sends audio to the headset over DisplayPort, this means it's using the NVIDIA High Definition Audio device provided by my GPU. This device is removed from the list of available devices every time I turn off SteamVR, I guess as the device is not in use anymore as the headset is powered down. This results in VoiceMeeter (Potato in my case) not automatically using the device when it connects for the first time every session.

To work around this problem I manually re-select the device in VoiceMeeter after starting SteamVR. As a side note, if I restart SteamVR which causes the device vanish and reappear in VoiceMeeter, it will start using it automatically, I only need to manually choose it once per Windows session.

I'm not sure it the device gets a new hardware ID or something every time I start my PC? If there is any more information I can provide regarding this I'd be happy to help.