Hunting Crackling & return experience

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
mipsou

Hunting Crackling & return experience

Post by mipsou »

Dear users,

i want to help all people who have crackling. I share my experience with you.

After you install any software VB in Windows. Adjust the security by following the link viewtopic.php?f=6&t=582&hilit=insert&si ... a77c#p1596

I add VST Host with ASIO insert viewtopic.php?f=6&t=582&hilit=insert&start=10#p1658

after that, crackling appear. follow some post on viewtopic.php?f=6&t=582&hilit=insert&start=10#p1667

later i adjust the buffer size within Voicemeter same as viewtopic.php?f=11&t=506
Do not fast change setting buffer size or your PC crash.

I see turn on HPET reduce latency. ( https://www.ghacks.net/2013/04/18/try-c ... rformance/ )
Before, my DPC was 4000 micro seconds
after you can see below.

Now i try to kill my crackling by use Windows Performance Analyzer and Media eXperience Analyzer.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Hunting Crackling & return experience

Post by Vincent Burel »

Our Virtual ASIO driver are strictly synchronized on Voicemeeter Output A1 Audio Stream
With the double buffering method (given by ASIO mechanism), it requires a real real time stream.

If the main audio stream is not regular in term of callback timing, then our virtual ASIO audio driver could not follow correctly the stream and generate cut in the sound as it is also explained here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=506

While our Virtual Audio I/O are able to cope to such timing precission problem (because not based on double buffering mechanism), our Virtual ASIO driver (expected to be optimal in term of latency) cannot support timing error on callback. This is a simple real time rules, but it seems audio developpers actually forgot it...

BTW: Voicemeeter is nomore DPC pending (or indirectly by the audio device if this audio device is DPC pending).
mipsou

Post by mipsou »

I found some news
[*]Windows Timer Resolution: Megawatts Wasted https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2013/ ... ts-wasted/
[*] Windows 10 - Possible Latency Fixes https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96815
[*]Windows System Timer Tool https://vvvv.org/contribution/windows-system-timer-tool
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

most of audio driver problem comes from Microsoft bugs in Audio Stack and Audio Driver Installation mess (with a possible relationship between them). if your audio is not stable on a simple workflow (simple playback or simple recording)... consider re-installing audio driver correctly.
mipsou

Post by mipsou »

For information,
I updated my windows 10 to version 1809,
I advise you to uninstall Voicemeter before updating your windows 10 to version 1809,
it seems that the sound is better in this version.
But this patch KB4490481 finds in our opinion all its interest in another patch.
Microsoft explains that it has finally solved the crashes of some audio software on machines with multiple audio devices.
These problems occur when the user selects an audio output in the software that is different from the default output device (Default Audio Device). This concerns software capable of managing several sound devices such as the Windows Media Player but also the Realtek HD Audio Manager and Sound Blaster Control Panel control panels provided with the drivers of these two brands. So this is a very good thing for users who are used to juggling between several audio outputs.
mipsou

Post by mipsou »

I show you an advanced to very advanced functional use case.

After some modifications I managed to re-route and keep pedalboard2 as a VST host for routing too.
I used Jackaudio ASIO. It was installed according to the documentation.
Unfortunately, Voicemeter Potato has only 8 IOs to communicate with JackRouter. Ideally, there should be 16 In and 10 Out.
  1. With Cable A, I re-routed output A4 to the VOiP input slot.
  2. I routed the VOiP input slice to external FX 1
  3. You have to assign the IOs of the external FX 1. as far as I'm concerned, I used the 3 and 4.[img]https:/snag.gyIGHOEp.jpg[/img]
  4. I cable the SPDIF input 1 to the voicemeeter in3
  5. I cable the SPDIF input 2 to the voicemeeter in4
  6. I cable the voicemeeter out3 to Output 11 (SPDIF output of my Scarlett 18i20)
  7. I cable the voicemeeter out4 to Output 12 (SPDIF output of my Scarlett 18i20)
  8. For the construction of the insert with Pedaalboard2 it is necessary to cable the physical inputs with the pedalboard2 inputs. Concerning the outputs, it is necessary to cable the desired output pair to the voicemeeter in1/2
  9. My analog input 5/6 of my scarlet is my synth which is to be wired on my DAW
To be continued...