Potato: delay larger than 16000 ms

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
pswiatki

Potato: delay larger than 16000 ms

Post by pswiatki »

I have a problem understanding how the delay special fx is applied. I tried the following setup: one mixer strip with the microphone input with applied delay fx, patched to A5 which is CABLE-A input, CABLE-A output is another mixer strip with the delay fx applied to it as well. It is patched to A3 which is the actual output of the sound card. I tested it hoping I would get the delay twice as long as the one set in the delay special fx configuration window. However, it seems to be looping the sound forever with the delay of X ms (as set in the config). Why is that happening?

The reason I am trying this is: the maximum delay which can be set seems to be 16 seconds, but for some testing purpose I need it to be close to 30 seconds, or so. Is there a way of achieving this?
pswiatki

Re: Potato: delay larger than 16000 ms

Post by pswiatki »

OK, I probably don't understand how delay (and reverb) special fx are implemented. I guess there are only single instances of those FXs and if I select Special FX level with the corresponding knob in the input strip and I do the same in another input strip I am simply sending the "mix" of audio from both strips to that special FX. So, in my case, because the return from the delay FX is put to the physical output which happens to be the IN of the virtual cable and one of the strips mentioned above is the OUT of that cable - I mix the delayed copy of the input audio with itself and this would effectively create an endless loop. Is this correct?

By the way: could the maximum delay be a parameter the user could set up in some configuration file (or Win registry)?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Potato: delay larger than 16000 ms

Post by Vincent Burel »

i note your request about 30 seconds delay , will see if i can define a parameter somewhere...

yes, the Fx reverb and delay are not FX that you insert insert on strip,
they are global FX and you use the SEND knob to send audio source in this gobal FX.
(again somethink very classical you can find on basic hardware mixer).