(banana or potato) Sending multiple sources to multiple outputs?

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
OutsideOctaves

(banana or potato) Sending multiple sources to multiple outputs?

Post by OutsideOctaves »

Ok, what I want to do ultimately is take not only my headset mic input from my PC's front panel through banana/potato then out to Second Life (a 3D chat/hangout program with voice options) and other programs like Skype, Discord, Etc., but also take Reaper's output (after Reaper takes in my ASIO input for my electric guitar and puts it through my vst amp sims n such) and run it through the same programs (second life, skype, discord, etc.).

All this without hearing my guitar's raw input at any point, or creating feedback loops, etc.

Because I love the sounds I get with reaper now, and want to pass this through various programs like second life so that my friends can listen to me play and critique my pieces for me and/or just have some "fun" listening to me heh, but I don't want to have to constantly switch between various inputs and outputs in the programs. I just want to set it and forget it and just use VoiceMeeter (banana or potato) to manage the mutes and what not.

Is anyone able to help me with this setup, if it's even possible?

I know it's possible to do this with my headset mic, but the problem I have run into at the moment is that when I try to run both my mic and my guitar into second life, I end up having a rather messy issue.

I have it set to take an ASIO input on the first channel of potato and my mic on the 2nd channel. Both get sent to the B1, thus I can get my mic into second life via setting it to VAIO output 1 (B1) but it is also picking up my guitar's raw input to my FocusRight Scarlette 2i2 Via it also being set to send to B1. And here's one of the problems, cause if I'm running reaper, it also runs my mic through reaper's input when I do this and thus it's amping up my mic along with the guitar and providing a heck of a feedback/screeching sound. I can remedy this last part by sending the mic over to B2 instead but then I lose its mic output to second life. And in all of this, I never get the output of the amp sims within reaper into second life(or skype, etc.), only the raw input of the guitar. This why I come here to you guys. I'm at a loss now. I mean I even want to be able to send it to my studio monitor or other outputs as well... oi this is confusing lol.
kandalf87

Re: (banana or potato) Sending multiple sources to multiple outputs?

Post by kandalf87 »

Try this:

Connect your Focusrite to the Line In on your PC.
In Reaper, set the input to Line In, and the output to Voicemeeter input.
In Second Life, set the input to Voicemeeter Output and the Input to Aux VIAO.

In Voicemeeter:
Set your mic and Reaper to output to B1.
Set Second Life to output to A1.
Toggle A1 for Reaper to ba able to monitor.

In theory, this should cut the feedback loop out. Let me know if it works for you.
OutsideOctaves

Post by OutsideOctaves »

The problem here is I don't have the equipment to pull that off (adapters) at the moment.

I was hoping there was an in-software fix for this? Like perhaps I'm routing things wrong or something?

Ok, I figured one part of my problem is that I have my ASIO on the first input and my Mic on the 2nd input, and both are getting routed through to reaper and processed through the fx (bias fx 2). I need to get the mic coming in after Reaper does its thing with my guitar... hmmm

Is there a way to separate my mic from this and have both the output from Reaper and my mic input go into Second Life's mic input as a single audio stream via the software available here? As in a route, I haven't thought of yet?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

maybe Potato will be better for this.
But the most optimal config is to

1- Connect Voicemeeter output A1 to your ASIO device. Then you can get ASIO input into Voicemeeter physical input by the ASIO patch.
2- Connect your REAPER to Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO insert driver, then REAPER can get all audio inputs coming from ASIO and output audio into Voicemeeter Virtual input for example , or in Stereo in channel 9,10 (for Voicemeeter Potato it means the physical input #5).
3- Connect your headset to any Voicemeeter unused Physical input and output A2 or A3...
4- Connect Second Life, Skype Discord to Voicemeeter Virtual I/O

Generally speaking the solution is in connecting everything to Voicemeeter.
OutsideOctaves

Post by OutsideOctaves »

OK, I got it working I think, but now the issue is popping in the audio which I would think is latency.

I've tried raising and lower the buffering and just can't seem to get rid of the popping without going to 1024 buffer and SR of 44.1k but of course that doesn't sound as nice as 96k by a long shot..., BUT that causes a lag in the audio by that point so that's no good either... um, any way to do better here?