Does using "listen to this device" on CABLE Output process the audio using Windows sound driver?

VB-Cable A & B, HIFI-Cable, ASIO Bridge
lryder2k6

Does using "listen to this device" on CABLE Output process the audio using Windows sound driver?

Post by lryder2k6 »

I'm using a combination of VB-Audio ASIO Bridge / Hi-Fi Cable and VB-Audio Virtual Cable to use ASIO output from my PC (Spotify specifically) with visualizations in Winamp, which requires getting the audio to a recording device, so it can be picked up with the linein:// URL in Winamp.

The setup is as follows:

Hi-Fi cable as main Playback device -> VB-Audio Virtual Cable selected in ASIO4ALL under WDM Device List -> CABLE Output in Windows Sound Recording tab being listened to through my DAC by ticking "Listen to this device"

My question is this: does using the "Listen to this device" option on a recording device "reprocess" the sound using the Windows sound driver, thus defeating the purpose of using ASIO output in the first place? Or is this method sending my DAC the same data is if I had selected the DAC as the device in ASIO4ALL?

Many thanks for any clarification.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Does using "listen to this device" on CABLE Output process the audio using Windows sound driver?

Post by Vincent Burel »

our VB-CABLE is made to connect 2x application together only.
for more mixing / routing services, you may try voicemeeter Banana for example.

yes, the LISTEN option in Windows certainely goes through kmixer.
lryder2k6

Re: Does using "listen to this device" on CABLE Output process the audio using Windows sound driver?

Post by lryder2k6 »

Thanks Vincent. Sounds like I'm not getting the benefit of ASIO with this solution then. I'll take a look at voicemeeter banana.